Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HaplessRunner, Sep 18, 2013.

1. farmhand

farmhand Chillin' With My Peeps

Wikipedia is only a place where someone or groups of people have written what they believe or want to believe until someone or a group disagree.

There are many many examples in life where a slang meant to be negative is adopted by a group and becomes a name they are proud of. Marketers use this to their power.

2. farmhand

[​IMG]

3. CibolaChooks

CibolaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    Cream egger mongrels

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    But to me mutt is a term used when the mix has many unidentifiable breeds so you have no other option but to call it a mutt instead of THISxTHIS. So for examble in dogs most are called mutts if there is a significant amount of breeds in the mix or one just can not identify what it may be mixed with. In Chickens they are typically called Barnyard mixes. With our CL hybrids they are a specific cross of Cream Legbar and another breed to create something new. This to me is not a "mutt" this is a cross that we can identify.

I personally will not call my CL hybrids "mutts" Because to me they are not.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  5. HaplessRunner

HaplessRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Boston, VA
    That may be true, but this information is correct in that there is only one original source of the blue egg gene.

With so many cross combinations, you cannot reasonably or demonstrably use a "cream" term for any thing since thre colors, depending upon the cross, are all over the map. I, personally would never use the terms mutt, muddle, or mongrel for something I sell and would stand behind. We can laugh and have a good time coming up with all kinds cute terms (and there are plenty to be made [​IMG]).

The public we will sell to has no concept of legbars. They do understand colored eggs and Easter Eggers. While we do not want a confusion of our efforts and birds with Easter Eggers, we do want a positive distinction.

So unless someone can come up with something "reasonable", I will be calling my crosses Prism Eggers or Prismatic Eggers.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I agree with this.

7. CibolaChooks

CibolaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    albuquerque nm
    I was laughing, although i do like cream muddles. Its funny to laugh outloud and have all your chickens laugh in response. Mostly the roos but its funny to hear

8. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    @nicalandia posted that there were two--one blue gene associated with a pea comb and one associated with a straight comb. They may have both originated from the same breed in the distant past but the genes seem different now.

CLs are not recognizes by the APA so calling them something based on American Standards may not make sense. What do they call CL crosses in England? There is a Standard for them over there.

9. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Muttbars would be my call too..

10. farmhand

Cream Hybars

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by