Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Our Creams are really getting going, got a blue egg yesterday and three today. The color on them is beautiful.
    Obviously, our sex-link eggs are much bigger, but it's a fun comparison.
    [​IMG]

2. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Congratulations Ashdoes! Looks like you have lots of beautiful eggs!

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

blackbirds13 and Ashdoes -

congrats on eggs in Dec.! Ashdoes, how old are your CLs and how long have they been laying? Are they still pullet eggs? My CLs are slackers right now.

4. Darkangael

Darkangael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2013
    New Mexico
    Grats on eggs.

5. Ashdoes

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Yes, these are pullet eggs. They're 28 weeks, and we've only gotten about 7 eggs so far. We had a week of terrible negative temps, then it warmed back up and we got a few more eggs. I think it's hard for them to get started in such cold. My other breeds started laying September/October of last year and sailed through winter laying almost every day.
    My husband is so excited to start hatching.

6. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Uh-oh, if hubby is on board you guys are in trouble! ;) Get ready for Chicken Math to catch up to you!

Congrats on the eggs!

7. ChicKat

ChicKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

How neat that you are both in on it.

In the book "Breeding for Success" Grant Brereton says that we should wait to hatch only from 2-year old hens. - interesting huh? Then the other book I'm in process of reading says to hatch before your chickens reach two because the fertility could decline there after. I guess once the eggs are full sized, you are good to go. Things that you wouldn't know from first year chickens is how they perform in year two and how their refeather after they molt.

Too pretty on those eggs. For first eggs for all the pullets here, I blow out the egg and save the shell for future reference. :O)

8. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Interesting - Now grant IMHO is someone who primarily breeds for phenotype. The best tool in seeing how will a hen will lay is a ruler and some fingers.

9. Ashdoes

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Actually, the Creams were a gift I got for my husband, so he's really into it. We've decided not to hatch till January or February. I really want to breed for egg color, and size as well as appearance and size of the actual chickens. A lot of things go into these guys, and I'm having fun guessing which pairings we should make to fix which issues and to keep traits.
    I can't imagine not hatching for two years.

10. shotzy007

shotzy007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Texas
    amazing blue eggs, if I ever get a bigger run............I am getting more Legbars!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by