Cream Legbars

Hedemoras wouldn't do well where I am as it gets over 100 in the summer. They would need to be higher up on the wet side of the mountains to the west.

I am new to raising CCLs, have 2 Hens and 1 roo. One of my hens lays a white egg...I got a hold of the breeder, she is sure they are pure. I think she may not be. Both hens look beautiful, do not look like mixed, but eggs don't lie...do they??? I have heard if you mix a blue egg layer with a green egg layer it is possible to get white. Or is there another scenario for why the white egg???
Thanks for the help.

I am new to raising CCLs, have 2 Hens and 1 roo. One of my hens lays a white egg...I got a hold of the breeder, she is sure they are pure. I think she may not be. Both hens look beautiful, do not look like mixed, but eggs don't lie...do they??? I have heard if you mix a blue egg layer with a green egg layer it is possible to get white. Or is there another scenario for why the white egg???
Thanks for the help.

I will just say, I have never heard of that....

I have a hen that lays a slightly greener egg but nothing even close to white? Did you get that special Feed they announced a week ago on the home page here?

Pictures of the birds???

Thanks for the help.
I bet you get blue eggs from these . It is rare but I had a Ameraucana lay a white egg then gradually got bluer and stayed blue . White will take out the brown tint that makes the eggs look green .

Thanks for the help.
The breeder may believe she is pure but clearly she is not. Pure CLBs do not lay white eggs. The two shell colors are white and blue. Pigment is added to that. So she is mostly likely mixed with a white egg layer somewhere along the way. Possibly a brown leghorn since they look quite a lot like Legbars.

If you are planning to breed forward than I wouldn't use her. Doesn't mean she won't give you lots of nice white eggs but it isn't something that you would want in the breed. To me it always calls into question the whole group. Since cock birds can't lay you may have some problems crop up in the future as well.

If it were me, and these were the only birds I had access to, I would hatch some from your blue egg layer and grow out the offspring to see how they measure up. If more issues pop up like unclear auto-sexing, lack of crests, lack of cream, I would scrap that pair and start with some new stock.

Thanks for the help.
Adding to what the others have said...
BBS insights are really good. Your breeder may have no way of even knowing that there is a white egg gene in her flock. Since blue is dominant, and since chickens carry two genes on egg color -- a CL could have 1 white eggshell gene and one blue eggshell gene, and the layers would lay blue -- the males with a white gene could have come from a blue egg.

The offspring of your white egg layer could lay blue if paired with a double blue male -- but they would have a recessive white egg gene from their mama.

Last edited:
I finally got my first CCL egg from my Duchess, at the grand old age of 38 weeks. While I am happy she laid I am a little disappointed in the color. It isn't that different from my EE's. Here is a pic for comparison. The top egg is my EE's the bottom right from Duchess. I was hoping for a pretty Carolina blue egg, instead it is blue green. It is still a very pretty color, just did not have the true blue :(

Thanks for the help.
Hi, thanks for your interest in Cream Legbars. Do you have pics of your new girls to share?

While not desirable, in my experience, CL may have only one blue eggshell gene (heterozygous); leaving green/brown out of this equation on purpose. This may not be the result of any recent crosses, but a result of shaking out all the variables when the birds were imported. It is noted that there are significantly bluer eggshells in some UK lines, so for whatever reason we are not necessarily seeing the deepest saturation of blue here even when the birds are understood to be homozygous for blue (have 2 blue eggshell genes).

As mentioned by @ChicKat , if both the hen and the rooster have only one blue eggshell gene, 25% of their offspring will only have the white eggshell gene. So it's possible for the hens to look like CL but not lay a blue egg. Again, this is not desirable and if all other appearances are per the Standard, with some diligence you could breed your flock back to homozygous for the blue. Or, just enjoy the birds at hand and get a separate CL breeding flock to maintain the blue eggshell gene.

As it turns out, I recently found a more saturated color pullet egg, but I honestly don't know if my CL or OE is laying it...
The 3 eggs along the top are from 2 CL sisters. The light blue is a pretty typical color, the one on the right is a little more green than any others I have had.
The pullet eggs along the bottom are the first eggs of one pullet, and more closely resemble the egg color of a Wheaten Ameraucana I had at one time.
(fyi - the eggs are not washed, and I did not use a flash, the lighting is from a skylight).

Thanks for the help.

My CL girl that lays the bluest of eggs (meaning least green) has been laying since November, and her eggs are large, and on the pale side. If I didn't have fake white eggs in the nest, I'd probably initially think it was white. Just for what it's worth...

- Ant Farm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom