Cream Legbars

If they were “pure” legbars and their parents carried the gene for white, (simplification) you could have white leg bars. But the muffs wipes the chance of them being “pure” out.

Also green eggs is a no no, while some people see a slight greenish tint, blue is definitely their color.

Some Legbars will have red in their ear lobes, however more than 15% is a disqualification as I recall.

The thing to remember with chickens it’s not “pure” that counts it the SOPs.

While there is no SOP in the works for Rose comb legbars, I hope someday there is.

Just what I was looking for, thanks!

They are either completely oblivious.....or devious and totally without integrity.
They also claim to have Ameraucana eggs, which I know has muffs commonly, so I wonder if its just some intermixed barn yard breed.

For now Ill just keep them as pets and find new lines in a couple years :)

They also claim to have Ameraucana eggs, which I know has muffs commonly, so I wonder if its just some intermixed barn yard breed.
I'd bet those Ameraucana are Easter Eggers.
Are these eggs you had shipped or can you see the parent birds in person?
One of my biggest disappointments when I started with chickens was the difficulty in finding pure breeds. Just because calls themselves a 'breeder', doesn't mean they know what they're doing.

I'd bet those Ameraucana are Easter Eggers.
Are these eggs you had shipped or can you see the parent birds in person?
One of my biggest disappointments when I started with chickens was the difficulty in finding pure breeds. Just because calls themselves a 'breeder', doesn't mean they know what they're doing.
They were local-ish. She offered for me to go see them, but I didn't know much about chickens in general, as I only was hatching eggs since my area was under quarantine for having chicks shipped for my first flock.
I then had the run around with a local hatchery for a couple months, being told the legbars didn't hatch every other week.

So rather than drive over an hour to where the eggs were laid, we picked up the eggs at a slightly closer location. Because at this point I had already wanted chicks for about 5 months, lol.

Anyhow, it wasn't until they were all mature that I realized they weren't exactly what I thought they were. They laid mostly blue or blueishgreen eggs, but they don't breed true. Most of the babies did have the auto sex feature, but about 10-20% come out yellow. In my small hatch test.

Hi, I was hoping to get an opinion from some people who are raising cream legbars, especially in a mixed flock (I hope it's okay to post this question in here). How "docile" would you say this breed is? I really love the look of the cream legbar but am wondering if they would bully my Faverolles? I've read some mixed reviews of their personalities. Thanks!

Hi, I was hoping to get an opinion from some people who are raising cream legbars, especially in a mixed flock (I hope it's okay to post this question in here). How "docile" would you say this breed is? I really love the look of the cream legbar but am wondering if they would bully my Faverolles? I've read some mixed reviews of their personalities. Thanks!

They are like all birds, some are meek, some are not. As a whole they are pretty sweet birds, but you can get a rooster with a Napoleon complex now and then.

Legbars have a body type similar to leghorns and are very nosy about anything you may be doing in the yard if you let them out. I always have one or two that, if I don't get to feeding fast enough, makes an attempt at flying onto my head, back or shoulders. I've had a few feisty( read edible) roosters, but overall the hens are pretty friendly. My marans can be bossier than my legbars.

They are like all birds, some are meek, some are not. As a whole they are pretty sweet birds, but you can get a rooster with a Napoleon complex now and then.

Legbars have a body type similar to leghorns and are very nosy about anything you may be doing in the yard if you let them out. I always have one or two that, if I don't get to feeding fast enough, makes an attempt at flying onto my head, back or shoulders. I've had a few feisty( read edible) roosters, but overall the hens are pretty friendly. My marans can be bossier than my legbars.

Thanks for the replies!

Back
Top Bottom