CREATE YOUR OWN BREED OF CHICKEN

The Russian Orloff is a red Mille Fluer color and the Rhode Island Red is a Solid Red color. The white Mille Fluer patches are recessive so in the first cross you should get all solid red colored birds (but you may discover that your RIR aren't a pure bred and you think and get some variation).

The RIR has a columbian restrictor and Dark Red genes to make the cockerel all red. I am not really familiar with the Russian Orloff, but think that I have seen some with black breasts. If that is the case then you will be splitting the dark red and columbian restrictors with the cross and would get both red breasted and black breasted cockerels.

The Russian Orfloss has a raspberry comb. I am not 100% sure on the genetics of that comb type but think that you will come out with something closer to the raspberry comb on the offspring (but again you may find that you Orloffs aren't as pure bred as you though get a range on the combs).

I think it would be cool to have a black chicken with green eyes.

This is my mottled Cochin buff brahma cross bantam pullet

When she was younger

Hello! I am trying to design my own special EE strain. I am crossing BBS Ameraucana with faverolles. I also have some RIR and a australorp that I may try to hatch some from. I saw the 'favacauna ' on my pet chicken and cute as they are but I want to have the fluffiest, best winter laying feather legged sweeties around. No one is quite old enough to lay yet but as time goes on...
1f60a.png

Hello! I am trying to design my own special EE strain. I am crossing BBS Ameraucana with faverolles. I also have some RIR and a australorp that I may try to hatch some from. I saw the 'favacauna ' on my pet chicken and cute as they are but I want to have the fluffiest, best winter laying feather legged sweeties around. No one is quite old enough to lay yet but as time goes on...
1f60a.png

keep us posted!

I have a faverolles pullet that I planned to cross with my araucana roos (mixed colours) but I am not sure if she will be accepted by that wildish flock. she is too skittish. favaucana inspired me as well.

Hello, I'm kinda new to chickens. I grew up around them but never took an interest until this year, and I already have a couple breeding projects that I want to work toward. I have a question and I'm not sure if it is going to sound odd or not, but has anyone tried to breed an improved broody hen?

Hello, I'm kinda new to chickens. I grew up around them but never took an interest until this year, and I already have a couple breeding projects that I want to work toward. I have a question and I'm not sure if it is going to sound odd or not, but has anyone tried to breed an improved broody hen?

An improved broody hen?
Hens don't lay when they're broody so you can't get any eggs from them to hatch.

An improved broody hen?
Hens don't lay when they're broody so you can't get any eggs from them to hatch.

Lol I know it seems odd and counterproductive. I don't mean to breed towards a hen that goes broody more often. I mean breeding towards a hen that would go broody in a more predictable cycle, with a very strong mothering instinct, and a larger body in order to accommodate more eggs per clutch. From what I have read on this site most people seem to go with silkies, and a lot of what I'm seeing is people writing about how they hope one of their hens goes broody or lamenting over how few eggs each hen can brood at a time. I know a lot of people would say get an incubator, it solves both of these issues. My only thing about incubators is they need power. One bad storm or bone headed driver hits a telephone poll and knocks out the power for half a day you lose all of your eggs. Your power is more likely to go out than your broody keeling over. I'm probably displaying my ignorance on the subject. :p

Last edited:
I bred white TSC silkies to white jersey giants for a broody that can cover more eggs. If I try it again I'll go with cochin because they are big also and already have feathered feet over good quality pure silkies. The TSC silkies I'm sure have already been crossed with something likely leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom