Creating my own breed, Breeding project

Jaeden Mckinley

Songster
Apr 2, 2022
I am starting this thread as a journal for a breeding project I have been thinking of for some time. I would like to take my mix of hens and breed them to my buff brahma male until I get the desired bird. My sire has already proven him self over and over again to be a survivor.

Goals for the bird: a bigger body bird, feathers on the legs and hardy when it comes to winter here in minnesota, medium sized brown eggs in color, and the bird can go broody

My sire for this project is SGT or (Sergeant)
20220616_094848.jpg

Pros: Big, feathers on the feet, fights back against predators, has produced some offsrping

Cons: not so hardy in the winter, dosent keep his weight

I will show the hens in a bit

Last edited:
Have you started this yet??
What have the outcomes been if any??
So far I can see what I'm looking for, there is only one living chick out of all the chicks I hatched, they sadly were killed due to not going back into the coop. She is only one left yet she shows all the traits I wanted, nice meaty breasts, medium sized body, feathered feet and medium sized brown eggs. I'll put a picture up tomorrow

This hen is a Euskal Oiloa, a breed from spain. She fits some of the things I would want in a hen, she is a winter hardy bird, lays contantly, and holds her own.

Lets call this hen Agent E due to the breeds name
20220616_095042.jpg

Pros about agent E: Lays large eggs, produces healthy offspring, always laying, and is a very calm bird

Cons about agent E: Doesent have feet feathers, large comb.
More birds soon

Last edited:
I have a few questions-

Why would you breed a rooster like that?

Didn’t you say you want a cold hardy bird?

Again, why breed a bird with a defect?
Answers for number 1, I have 4 hens that are hardy birds
Number 2 the hen was never born with crooked toes, the person we got her from said she got them caught in something, I don't know what really happened but I know she wasn't born with them like that

I have a few questions-

Why would you breed a rooster like that?

Didn’t you say you want a cold hardy bird?

Again, why breed a bird with a defect?
Oh and the rooster only chased a kid once because the kid threw a sand shovel at him, which I'm okay standing up for himself, and the kid was a family friend's kid that was a dink

Back
Top Bottom