Crested Cream Brabanter

Juther

Songster
Feb 27, 2018
When I got my first flock of 14 this past March I never dreamed I would be talking about chicken genetics!

I have one hen and one rooster. It's possible they are related as one came from a private breeder and another came from a local reseller, both in our area. They are 3 months age difference, so at least they aren't siblings.

I originally just wanted to have some more of them, but now I realize I need to do right by the breed and breed them correctly.

I need to breed mother to son and father to daughter but not brother to sister, correct?

What undesirable traits would there be in this breed?

I need to breed mother to son and father to daughter but not brother to sister, correct?
That would be the preferred method. I'm sure some here will disagree with this, but through many conversations with some of the top araucana breeders I have learned you can breed siblings if necessary (starting your flock, working on specific traits), just don't do it often.

That would be the preferred method. I'm sure some here will disagree with this, but through many conversations with some of the top araucana breeders I have learned you can breed siblings if necessary (starting your flock, working on specific traits), just don't do it often.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom