Critque 2yro RPSI gelding

Quote:
gig.gif
WHEW! Cause I didn't have my fire retardent shield ready at ALL!

Nope, I was directing it at people with thin horses who are blaming their thin horses on the recent "hay issue" instead of blaming it on the "too cheap to pay for the expensive hay issue". Hits a nerve every time - especially when we're talking about warmblood breeders, who should be well funded and well prepared for tough times.

Quote:
My farrier is married to our vet (yes, I know - how convenient), so I have the farrier, the vet, and my trainer telling me that he's not worth it. I think he's a very nice gelding, has a nice movement, very handsome face, but I'd prefer to find something that has better feet/legs. I agree, he will probably straighten out a bit, and can be fixed with proper trimming and corrective shoeing, but I feel like I cannot take the risk of purchasing a "problem" horse (for lack of a better word) in hopes that he turns out nicely with no suspensory issues or whatever; I mean, horses with "perfect" confo can turn out to have a mishap or issue...why take a greater chance of something going wrong with a horse with less then good legs? I'm just looking at this through a business stand point. My barn is the cheapest one in the area at $450 a month - there's no place else I could keep him to wait and see if he fills and straightens out....

Like I said, I'm going to keep looking - I mean without strong/sound legs; there's no future for him to be a higher level jumper which is want I am looking for, no a hunter, not a dressage horse, now a low jumper. I'm looking for something that has potential to make it big, possibly Grand Prix. If I get an update on him or if he's still for sale in a few months, I will be more than willing to re-look into him and see if he looks any better... but for now, I don't was to take that much of a risk in hopes.
hmm.png

Quote:
gig.gif
WHEW! Cause I didn't have my fire retardent shield ready at ALL!

Nope, I was directing it at people with thin horses who are blaming their thin horses on the recent "hay issue" instead of blaming it on the "too cheap to pay for the expensive hay issue". Hits a nerve every time - especially when we're talking about warmblood breeders, who should be well funded and well prepared for tough times.

WHEW!
Now, if I was trying to sell this horse for $10k, I think maybe you'd have a case:

9dcf.jpg

ec08.jpg

3660.jpg

Front feet:
3af1.jpg

Back feet:
91e9.jpg

I rescued this colt from a "breeder." He's VERY well-bred, super mind, great temperment...but he caught in a BARBED WIRE FENCE at weaning. So the lady spent "thousands" on his vet care/recovery and then got hurt in a car accident & couldn't handle the horses anymore. ALL of hers looked like this & thank GOD someone else stepped up & bought the others from her. Sighs.

This horse is now 4 years old & doing great (and for sale) but not for $10k
smile.png

I rescued this colt from a "breeder." He's VERY well-bred, super mind, great temperment...but he caught in a BARBED WIRE FENCE at weaning. So the lady spent "thousands" on his vet care/recovery and then got hurt in a car accident & couldn't handle the horses anymore. ALL of hers looked like this & thank GOD someone else stepped up & bought the others from her. Sighs.

This horse is now 4 years old & doing great (and for sale) but not for $10k

I have to ask (not knowing much about horses other than they eat a lot and you can ride them, and they are preeettttyyy!)

How did that guy get in that bad of shape OTHER than not getting enough to eat, which even my untrained eye can see??

And, even more curious, how does one bring a case like that back to a reasonably sound condition? The whole foot thing in horses is interesting to me - can you get those hooves back under the legs with some sort of trimming, etc?

Also, do you have recent pics?? I'm just really facinated and so glad you got that guy and took care of him and would love to see how he looks now!​

Last edited:
My word, good on you equibling for rescuing that poor thing! I hope someone called the humane society to go have a Word with the woman, there is NO excuse for anything like that
hmm.png

Susan, part of what you're seeing is just that the horse is young (and underfed) -- that accounts for the difference in overall body shape. The feet (oh my).... in an older horse I would assume chronic founder, but in a youngster like this it could perfectly well just be serious malnutrition weakening the tendons/ligaments plus an atrocious case of no trimming whatsoever for a very long time <fume> If the foot gets too pathologically long -- that is, the hoof gets too 'tall' -- a malnourished horse's tendons and ligaments can't necessarily support proper stance and locomotion and the whole thing tips back onto the backs of the heels, like this. Fixing it is 'just' a matter of progressively returning the whole assmbly to a more proper and functional shape and balance with a succession of trims, and letting the heel open back up.

Glad to hear he's doing better now,

Pat

He was not given good quality hay and even more damaging, he was FILLED with parasites. It took almost four months of trimming (very little) every couple of weeks before he had "hooves" again. We could only take off a little at a time due to the fact the blood supply in his hoof had gotten so far down into the toe that we couldn't take much off without hitting blood.
sad.png

Here is a photo of him taken in August of 2006 (two months after I brought him home), after a few farrier appointments & a Panacur Powerpak session.
smile.png

239b.jpg

Front legs:
54f4.jpg

Back legs (you can see some scarring here, but it's not like it was). The swelling also went away (for the most part):
a28f.jpg

He's doing MUCH better now that's been with good food, a regular deworming program and farrier visits.
smile.png

Pat--

Yeah--unfortunately there is no humane society in the very rural area this woman lives in. :mad: She continued breeding these horses for a few years after I got my colt from her. This fall, someone went in & bought up all of the rest of her horses (I think). One of the saddest things I saw was her stallion.

Here is her stallion in 2000

RICO.jpg

And in 2007:

RicoNOW.jpg

I do a lot of rescues whenever possible--I can't say NO. Fortunately, someone else had the space & $ to help this horse. In his prime, he would have easily fetched $25k or so...this rescuer bought him for a few thousand. It's just so sad....

Last edited by a moderator:
th.gif

equibling-
I have NEVER seen a horse in such bad shape. That poor thing. Thank God you got ahold of him. How could a horse walk with so much toe and NO heel?
My mare (then a long two year old) was in such bad shape, but not like that. Not at all. She was fed straw bedding, had NO hoof (the lady trimmed it right off of her) and was covered in barbed wire cuts. I moved my other horses off the property for three months when I first brought her home. I didn't want them near her. I free fed her Timothy hay for four months. At first, she was eating four to five good sized flakes a day. I gave her NO treats whatsoever. It was months before I finally starting giving her carrots (I was so afraid of founder) and it took months to switch her from all Timothy to an alfalfa mix. When I first got her, you could see the microchip in her neck. It's the size of a grain of rice.
Now, she is such an easy keeper... almost too easy!
lol.png

I was in the same position as you. I tried for months to get the state this lady was in to take the rest of her animals away. I wasn't able to, dispite all my efforts. I could go on and on about some of the disgusting things I witnessed. It just makes me sick.
I wish we could rescue them all.

Back
Top Bottom