Crochet "Chat"

Yesterday, had a house fire. My entire house, well, almost all of it, has to be gutted. All my new yarn, all 86 skeins, are ruined. My pretty shawl is smoky and I hope I can wash it and remove the smell. My queen pieced quilt top, my commissioned bed runner in progress, all smoked up. Crap. Will have to be out of the main house for 6 weeks, probably, while it's redone. Even the roof has to be replaced.

Here WAS my pretty shawl all finished. I quit at 19" wide, which was plenty wide enough. It didn't need fringe since when wrapped, went about to my knees.

oh, my sorry about your house and your losses glad you are ok. the shawl looks grogous

Yesterday, had a house fire. My entire house, well, almost all of it, has to be gutted. All my new yarn, all 86 skeins, are ruined. My pretty shawl is smoky and I hope I can wash it and remove the smell. My queen pieced quilt top, my commissioned bed runner in progress, all smoked up. Crap. Will have to be out of the main house for 6 weeks, probably, while it's redone. Even the roof has to be replaced. Here WAS my pretty shawl all finished. I quit at 19" wide, which was plenty wide enough. It didn't need fringe since when wrapped, went about to my knees.
Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry. :(

Speckledhen-

The shawl is beautiful.

I'm sorry about your house. I have a large stash of yarn at home (in California; I'm presently in South Carolina) and someone is giving me more when I get home at the beginning of April. If you PM your address, I'd be happy to send some.

Speckledhen-

The shawl is beautiful.

I'm sorry about your house. I have a large stash of yarn at home (in California; I'm presently in South Carolina) and someone is giving me more when I get home at the beginning of April. If you PM your address, I'd be happy to send some.
Me to speckledhen. Also my parents had a house fire. and here is what I learned..... smoke staining does not come out of anything :( But the smell of the smoke can be helped by washing in vinegar and also stuffing/wrapping things in newspaper and replace the newspaper as it absorbs the smoke smell you just smell the paper and if it smells like smoke replace it and for some reason the newspapers work better if crumpled.

So sorry ot hear about the fire Speckled!! That smell really does stick to everything. My grandmother used to clean apartments and after one of the sections caught fire she had to go in and clean up a lot of smoke damage. She used ZeP Professional Strength Smoke Odor Eliminator to get rid of the smell.... I use it whenever she smokes in the hosue too, lol. It works great. She ordered it through Home Depot but may be able to find it at a different store where you're at.

Here's a link to check it out.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...-Googlepla-_-Cleaning+Air_Fresheners-_-204295

Might work on yarn? Never thought to try it until now though.

Oh, Joann's is having Coupon Commotion right now. I got 4 50% off's in the Sunday paper and 4 more in my e-mail... bunch of 40% off's also.

And at the risk of looking like an a-hole(sorry speckled!), I wanted to share this pic since other's shared their stash. Of course, with the sale, I just added more today.

From back Left to right...
Orange/brown/yellows - chunky and weird stuff - blue/purple/gray - Green/pink
Variegated - BABY(ww/chunky) - BABY(sw)
Limbo Tub, lol - scraps & stuff - Cotton yarns

So sorry to hear about the fire. It's a tragedy. I also had a fire many years ago and there was a lot of smoke damage. The firemen told me to soak everything first in cold water All, drain the water and then wash in cold water All and then give everything a vineger rinse. Nothing stained and the smell was gone. I don't have any full skeins of yarn though but I will share what I have if you want some. Mine is all #4 mostly Red Heart since that's all I can get locally. I have many, many crochet and knitting needles also, if you need some of them. I wish you well during this terrible time in your life.

Thanks all. Everyone is here, packing clothes and items to be cleaned and stored, electrician has well pump on and water heater on and is waiting to see if he has to add an outlet for a camper. We are making lists of trashed things--guess what's on it? A new hovabator, lol! It got smoked, too, being out in the living room. My SIL has a huge batch of about 100 skeins of yarn she found at an estate sale that she was planning to share with me before this happened. She wasn't going to tell me until she found about about the fire, so I have new yarn coming. Thank you so much for the offers, though. I saved my hooks-yea!

Back
Top Bottom