Crochet "Chat"

I started a throw for a dear friend of mine. She lost her brother to suicide this week. I can't do anything to make it better, so I'm making this throw w my worry and love.

It's about half way done. I can't wait to give it to her. It's a surprise.

All of the dish cloth talk has really made me want to start a few sets of those.

After SEVERAL trial and errors of different washcloth patterns I have finally found the perfect stitch for mine, its just a DC and SC
smile.png
and that is all I use for mine, pretty quick too

My easiest, fastest one is all HDCs, like the one in the upper left hand corner below. That was the first I learned to make, but one in the book I really, really like is called Cadence, and it's the pink one with the shell border in the pic.

Carrie, your friend will treasure that throw. I

Last edited:
All:
Here is my story: I had a grandmother who crocheted for 87.5 years straight, literally. She tried repeatedly to teach me but I was not biting at the time, also repeatedly. It is not like my world is not already covered with crochet, grandma had a double closet that she told me to take all the afghans out of and then gave me an entire refrigerator box, full sized, of afghans. We counted something like 225 double bed afghans. Plus my great aunt worked as a sorter at the Salvation Army and kept all the little doily type deals she could get her hands on. Grandma had a separate full sized fridge box for that, also given to me. This, my friends, is only a drop in the bucket, only MY share. Yikes!
In the face of all of this, and as a hard core knitter, I would like to learn to crochet. I recently changed positions at work and am feeling very shy and terribly lonely and overwhelmed and one of the ladies I work now somehow got on the topic of crochet and offered to teach me. What would you recommend as a hook type and size and good old Red Heart should be fine to start with, right?
I am secretly worried I am incapable of doing this and Grandma will haunt me if I blow it.

Karen

By the way, as a complete aside, Grandma was color blind and some of the color combinations in her afghans were remarkably...er...unique. Just a cool reminder that we are not perfect!

All:
Here is my story: I had a grandmother who crocheted for 87.5 years straight, literally. She tried repeatedly to teach me but I was not biting at the time, also repeatedly. It is not like my world is not already covered with crochet, grandma had a double closet that she told me to take all the afghans out of and then gave me an entire refrigerator box, full sized, of afghans. We counted something like 225 double bed afghans. Plus my great aunt worked as a sorter at the Salvation Army and kept all the little doily type deals she could get her hands on. Grandma had a separate full sized fridge box for that, also given to me. This, my friends, is only a drop in the bucket, only MY share. Yikes!
In the face of all of this, and as a hard core knitter, I would like to learn to crochet. I recently changed positions at work and am feeling very shy and terribly lonely and overwhelmed and one of the ladies I work now somehow got on the topic of crochet and offered to teach me. What would you recommend as a hook type and size and good old Red Heart should be fine to start with, right?
I am secretly worried I am incapable of doing this and Grandma will haunt me if I blow it.

Karen

By the way, as a complete aside, Grandma was color blind and some of the color combinations in her afghans were remarkably...er...unique. Just a cool reminder that we are not perfect!

Goto Youtube and look up the Crochet Crowd. Mikey has a full series of videos to teach you how to crochet from the most basic way to sit up and though advanced stitches. It's like a 23 part series. He's amazing.

My sister had to put her beloved GSD down yesterday ... she was 16 years old. I'm making her a rainbow bridge throw to honor her. Here is the pix of what I have so far. The background will be buff colored and trimmed in coffee and black.

All:

Karen

You will need different size hooks F,G,H,I,J,K,N and Q are what I use most for afghans and general projects. Get a light colored 4 ply yarn red heart is good don't get a dark color its hard to see the stitches on dark, stay away for now from the bumpy kinds like homespun etc. If you just want to buy one hook to learn with I would suggest H,I, or J and I always mis-place hooks so I have 2-3 of each. I prefer the plain aluminum some people like the bamboo or ones with thick handles, I don't. I go to you tube if I can't remember a stitch. practice, practice practice. Have fun if you get frustated put it down for awhile. Good practice piece is a simple plain granny square.

My sister had to put her beloved GSD down yesterday ... she was 16 years old. I'm making her a rainbow bridge throw to honor her. Here is the pix of what I have so far. The background will be buff colored and trimmed in coffee and black.
Thats lovely!! I just had to put the cat in my avatar to sleep :(

The cat tribute is lovely.

Mnferalkitty- Thank you for the good care you gave your cat. It will always help.

I think H is a good place to start, certainly no smaller than a G. The light-colored yarn is good advice, too. Keep in touch. We love seeing each other's work, and at least you know more about color than your grandmother. Some of the most beautiful things are simple.

Back
Top Bottom