cross breds

I would call it a cross bred. Genetically, it's still a Plymouth Rock, but it doesn't meet the standards so it's technically a cross.

It wouldn't be a cross breed because both parents are Plymouth Rocks.
I will happily defer to the genetics experts but I think the offspring would all be black. I think. Maybe.

I believe you would get barred females that look just like barred rocks (and since they are Plymouth Rocks, would be Barred Rocks)

The males would also be barred, but would have the darker pattern like you see on female barred rocks. They would only get one copy of the barring gene, whereas barred rocks rooster generally have two making them look lighter.

Quote:
Barred Rooster over a Black Hen would give you all Barred offspring...
Black Rooster over a Barred Hen would give you offspring that are Barred Roosters and Black Hens...

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Black Rooster over a Barred Hen would give you offspring that are Barred Roosters and Black Hens...

Chris

Thanks Chris-I was half right.
big_smile.png

Quote:

Chris

Thanks Chris-I was half right.
big_smile.png

Anytime..
big_smile.png

Chris

That Chris knows his stuff. Thanks for the solid answers, I always appreciate it. I hope you are right and not making this stuff up LOL. If you say it with confidence people gotta beleive it right? Just kidding I like you fact based approach to many questions.

Quote:
wink.png

I like to have something to fall back on if someone questions a answer I give, so I try to have a good sound background to the answers I give someone..

Chris

Back
Top Bottom