Cross breed hatching

Jamie5190

Chirping
Mar 12, 2019
20230516_143809.jpg

My neighbor gave me these eggs to incubate. She labelled them above. The roo is a Blue Cochin. Does anyone have any idea what these crosses may look like? The 3 I have marked don't look to be viable, but I'm keeping them in for the next week to be 100% sure.

Does anyone have any idea what these crosses may look like? The 3 I have marked don't look to be viable, but I'm keeping them in for the next week to be 100% sure.
Most will have heavily feathered legs and be straight combed. Possibly modified peas from the GQ's.

The barred rock will be sex linked at hatch with males having a white spot on the head and barred at maturity and females having solid heads at hatch and being solid black or blue at maturity.. also straight combed. This may (should) be valid for Cream Legbar as well at hatching. Test it, and your skill!

The red or gold based birds will end up with black or blue offspring, not sure about silver based ones.

The BCM.. will look very similar with body type being the main difference.. offspring will be 50%/ black and 50% blue with some color leakage at the neck.. and diminished capacity for egg color as it's heavily influenced by the egg color genes of the sire.

Increased broody-ness across the board.

I can't remember if the speckled in Sussex is the same as mottled or whether that is dominant and passes forward.. but I *THINK* so. Please verify anything important as my memory and knowledge are limited.

Those are lovely eggs and it's kind of your neighbor to share!

Please tell me you're not incubating in that foam carton.

Happy hatching! :jumpy :jumpy

Most will have heavily feathered legs and be straight combed. Possibly modified peas from the GQ's.

The barred rock will be sex linked at hatch with males having a white spot on the head and barred at maturity and females having solid heads at hatch and being solid black or blue at maturity.. also straight combed. This may (should) be valid for Cream Legbar as well at hatching. Test it, and your skill!

The red or gold based birds will end up with black or blue offspring, not sure about silver based ones.

The BCM.. will look very similar with body type being the main difference.. offspring will be 50%/ black and 50% blue with some color leakage at the neck.. and diminished capacity for egg color as it's heavily influenced by the egg color genes of the sire.

Increased broody-ness across the board.

I can't remember if the speckled in Sussex is the same as mottled or whether that is dominant and passes forward.. but I *THINK* so. Please verify anything important as my memory and knowledge are limited.

Those are lovely eggs and it's kind of your neighbor to share!

Please tell me you're not incubating in that foam carton.

Happy hatching! :jumpy :jumpy
😂 No I have an incubator! I just took that picture first! Thank you for such detailed information! I've been googling all day and reading on genetics lol! So very helpful!

No I have an incubator!
Well you might have a bunch of incubators is what I meant.. Marans are already broody enough in MY experience.. and that's what Cochin are known for.

Oh wait, you mean you ARE taking them out of that carton while they're inside the bator.. Good deal!

See if this link is helpful at all.. it has many definitions, also whether something is dominant or recessive, and in some instances whether the dam or sire have the most influence on that trait and written in a way that's straight forward and easy-ish to understand..

https://cluckin.net/chicken-genetics-gene-table-and-breeding.html

A couple more..

https://poultry.extension.org/articles/poultry-anatomy/poultry-genetics-an-introduction/

https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/

Happy genetic leaning adventures!:wee

Well you might have a bunch of incubators is what I meant.. Marans are already broody enough in MY experience.. and that's what Cochin are known for.

Oh wait, you mean you ARE taking them out of that carton while they're inside the bator.. Good deal!

See if this link is helpful at all.. it has many definitions, also whether something is dominant or recessive, and in some instances whether the dam or sire have the most influence on that trait and written in a way that's straight forward and easy-ish to understand..

https://cluckin.net/chicken-genetics-gene-table-and-breeding.html

A couple more..

https://poultry.extension.org/articles/poultry-anatomy/poultry-genetics-an-introduction/

https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/

Happy genetic leaning adventures!:wee
I prefer to use a broody hen but I don't have any at the moment. Our Australorp hatched a handful herself a few years ago and was such a good mom that she got renamed 'Mama'

Assuming the Blue Cochin is pure for everything critical with one B/B/S gene, the only difference the Silver or Gold should make is the color of any leakage. Gold should have red leakage, Silver white. Silver turns red feathers white, should have no effect on a black or blue feather. As you know, there are always exceptions. I also don't know if the Cochin is Gold or Silver. If he is Silver he will override any possible gold effect since Silver is dominant.

I can't remember if the speckled in Sussex is the same as mottled or whether that is dominant and passes forward.
In the Speckled Sussex it is the mottled genetics. Mottling is recessive, you will not see any effects in this generation, though occasionally it will show up marginally in juvenile feathering. Not many feathers but it can in a few.

Green Queens are not a breed, they are a cross from many different breeds. The only thing they are supposed to have in common is that they lay green eggs and don't get that big. I would not count on any characteristic from them that would help identify their chicks. From reading their description I think all the GQ hens should lay green eggs but I'm not convinced all of their offspring will.

Wyandottes have a rose comb, which is dominant so all of their offspring in this generation should have a rose comb.

I agree the Cream Legbar are barred so any chicks should be sex links with the boys having the spot on the head at hatch and feather out barred, the girls with no spot and no barring. They should all be single combed. There is something I'm not sure of. I think the genetics that make the Legbar "cream" can have an effect on what should be black or blue feathers. You may wind up with some that have some yellow feathers or partially yellow feathers on what theoretically should be black or blue chickens. I'm not sure of that but I'm hopeful.

With that Blue Cochin you should wind up with mostly black or blue chicks but I think you will have some interesting variations in them.

Back
Top Bottom