CRUMBLE OR PELLETS ?

Chick2chicken

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2017
Canada
So in the search for ways to keep my chickens occupated for the next few months of winter I've read that crumbles will keep them from getting bored. I've had them on (I think) 18% scratch with 16% pellets which they've had since summer last year. I was thinking of replacing the pellets with 18% crumble. Is this a good idea?
Thanks
chick2chicken

Mine like both pellets and crumble. I’ve found that I have less waste with the pellets.
I actually toss a handful of pellets on the ground instead of scratch in the pens I give the crumble to. That way when I make the switch they are more likely to gobble it up.

I have issues with wild birds (little pesky things that can get through welded wire runs) getting my feed when I use crumble. For some reason, the little pests don't like pellets. So, pellets for the Orr chickens it is!

I'm new at raising chickens. I just got 5 laying hens last night and the gentleman said to feed them mash for them to produce more eggs. Today I go get food and the man at the mill tells me that pellets and mash are the same thing. Pellets are just mashed is the difference. I laugh and say okay. I'm clueless. I've read now and all I get is so much percent mash and so much pellets so I have this question... what's the difference and what is good for helping them lay more eggs?

Mash, pellets and crumble can all be the same feed, just shaped differently. Mash can be partially whole/whole grains or ground up grains. Pellets are ground grains formed into a pellet shape. Crumble is broken up pellets. Feed what works for your flock. The nutritional content and freshness of the feed are the important thing, though you may find your flock preferring certain shapes of feed over others, or that certain types of feed are easier for you to deal with (i.e. many people use pellets because of less mess).

Back
Top Bottom