Crumbles or Pellets ?

I've always bought crumbles, IDK why. A few times the store will only have pellets so I get it, they don't seem to mind or know the difference. I toss a scoop out inside their run along with some scratch this time of year so they have something to peck and scratch at.

Pellets are so much less wasteful. I only use crumble for chicks. Then as soon as they can eat it go to pellet. The amount of crumble that finds itself on the ground and lost forever is absurd

with my last flock, i used crumble until it was time to switch to layer feed...then i got pellets, mixed the crumble and pellets--my girls wouldnt touch the pellets. for over a week, they would not eat them, so i gave in and got layer crumble.

Ive been planning to stick with crumble this time-new flocks 20 weeks now, I may try some pellets and see how they do. I dont have a problem with waste with the crumble, so will probably stick with it.

Crumble is a bit more expensive, and much more wasteful. Occasionally, a flock will resist the switch to pellets. But, if they are hungry, they'll eat what ever is set before them. PP have mentioned tossing a few pellets on the ground when first introducing them. Chickens are competitive enough, that they will gobble up such things just to keep a flock mate from getting them. Once they are over the freak out about "something new and scary", they will do fine with them.

I ferment, so the "shape of the dry product" does not matter to me, unless I'm feeding dry in a deep freeze. The cheapest form of feed is mash, if you can even get it, but I'd never feed that dry.

Back
Top Bottom