Crumbles vs. Mash

Moxiechick

Songster
10 Years
Jan 15, 2010
Maine
I'm preparing for the arrival of my first ever chicks, the week of July 12th. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on! I've read that Chick Starter feed comes in both crumble and mash, but am wondering which will be best. It seems that the crumble would create less waste and the pieces wouldn't be scattered as easily, yet I am wondering if chicks have a preference for the mash. All the chicks I have ordered are standard sized chicks, if that makes any difference.

What experiences has anybody here had with either texture, good or bad? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
smile.png

I've used mash and yes, there's tons of waste, but after the first bag you can move to crumbles.

I like the mash because it's very small and easy for small chicks to pick up. That way they can eat all they want.

Never used mash for chicks, I always use crumbles and have had no problem either way. I do use layer mash for my laying hens but that is because it is at my local feed mill and cheaper than crumbles at farm and home. Sooo I think it is personal preference, which ever you want to buy or is cheaper or more easy to get.

I start with the smaller pieces in medicated and move up when they are 16 weeks to the homemade mix and I include 25 percent crumble.

It depends. Mash would be better for tiny bantams... the crumbles can be too big for them the first week or so. Or you could do what I do... I take the time and crush up the crumbles even more until they can handle them on their own. If you only have a few it is worth it... verses buying a bag of mash for a couple chicks who only need it a couple days.

My chicks are 3 weeks old. When I brought them home and put crumbles in their feeders, they did nothing but dump all the crumbles into the brooder, and peck the bottom for small specks. So, I put their crumbles into a blender and ground it all up. Is that basically what 'mash' is? My older 6 chickens never had a problem with eating crumbles. Now, they still, at 3 weeks old, want to kick the crumbles out onto the floor and search for basically dust!
When will this change, or should I have just refused to give them anything other than crumbles in the first place, and let them get hungry enough to eat what they spilled out?

I like the crumbles WAY better. because if it falls out of the feeder then they'll still eat it because they can see it. but mash just gets left there.

I only buy crumbles. It's what the the feed store folks - my fav feed store, whose employees really ARE knowledgeable! - recommended then and I have been happy with how the chickens manage it. They do pick up the bits. I was given some pellets with a rescue chicken I accepted from a woman who needed to find a good home for her hen, and none of my birds like it. The rescue hen likes the crumbles better, too.

I love VS.. Easy to explain my use... I get a strainer, put in the crumbles, shake around over a bowl and get the little bitty crumblets shall we say.. I feed that to my 1-3 days out of the incubator.. After that they get it straight..

EXCEPT for seramas.. I feed it to them for the first week. They are sooooo tiny the crumbles are bigger than they are..lol.

Back
Top Bottom