Crusted eyes *pictures *

I've got a little bantam with completely closed eyes.
I've got her in a pet carrier far away from the other chickens.
The poor thing can't see at all and was walking into everything and getting trampled by the other birds.
She's breathing fine and drinking if I hold her where the water is (she can't find it on her own)
View attachment 1310217 View attachment 1310218 View attachment 1310219

Suggestions? How do I treat?

I just noticed that she's sneezing occasionally.

Since there is no odor and she is sneezing occasionally. It could be a respiratory illness like Mycoplasma or Infectious Bronchitis. (Infectious Coryza reportedly makes them smell rotten). http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Flush her eyes with saline or sterile water - you may need to use a warm compress to help soften the crust and get the eyes open, but flush well and remove any pus/discharge. You can use an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin or similar.
If you suspect she needs further treatment for symptoms, you can use injectable Tylan50. Dosage is .20ml per pound of weight given 2-3times a day for 5days. Tylan50 can be given orally or by injection into the breast muscle 1/4" deep.

Encourage her to stay hydrated. Poultry vitamins and extra protein are always a good idea too. Sick chickens sometimes have a hard time regulating body temperature, so give her a bit of warmth as well.

Back
Top Bottom