Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Some more pictures for cubalaya breeders to scratch their heads over. 6 month old pullet.
She came from a brood of ten. There was one white chick and ALL the rest had solid yellow
chick down. How she turned out to be this color I don't know. Her sire is a deep golden
duckwing/wheaten and her mother is a dark smutty wheaten.

One of the better black cubalaya grade cockerels. He is just a bit over 8 months old. His tail is still growing in.

Hi Troyer,
The pullet if she was pure yellow as a chick is a silver wheaten. When you use a golden male over wheaten females you will get both silver and regular wheaten females. Probably something else going on too but not sure what. She can't be duckwing or half duckwing or she would have been striped as a chick. Very pretty in any case!!
The black cockerel looks good. Very hard to get a pure clean black. I hope I will have some pop out this year myself, time will tell.

Weighed all my bantams yesterday. Lightest male was 33 oz. the rest were around 40 oz. The lightest hen was 24 oz. but most were 27 oz. Looks like I've got to get the size down. If I had the camera with me I would've taken pics. The smallest hen I've got is a spangle (go figure).

Got my first pair of Cubalayas today, shipped from Pennsylvania, Thanks Jim!!

For comparison, here are my Ideal girls. Ordered 2 Blue Red and got one plus the red splash/pyle, Hard to get pictures of them since they are always head down eating!

And yes, they fly, though like all my other birds, they prefer to walk.

3 months

6 months

Bruce

thats ia about the size we have on our bantams except we have alittle bit of a bigger range like my lightest bantam male is 30 oz and my largest is56 oz for my females my lightest was 18oz but she up and died about a month ago my heaviest is about 35 oz.

the black one looks pretty good but loose feathered. i can see some white under, is there any red in the hackle? did you grade to sumatra?
as for the pullet, interesting color. similar colors have popped up here; check out the stag to the right in the first pic, and the young pullet in the second
and how she turned out when older in the front on the last pic.

That strange duckwing male looks like the birds doc got a couple years back when he crossed the duckwings and red Pyles. I like the black male, he may be a bit too fluffy, but you don't want cubas like a modern or Cornish bantam. They lose some of the width it seems. My whites this year are pretty tight feathered and the feathers don't seem to get as long or wide. I like them a little looser so that the bird is consistent in width from shoulders through the tail. I don't like the saddles to pinch or the tails to be flat. But I also don't care too much for a bird that has a tail wider than its body, because it makes the bird look less wide( unless you have a big 5 1/2lbs or larger hen). I like to look down on the birds, and notice the width an I breed for more of it.

Back
Top Bottom