Cuckoo Maran/Barred Rock ?

In June we inherited six hens from a friend who was moving back to Sweden. She wasn't sure of the breeds, but we have four distinct breeds and would like to determine what they are, who's laying what and how often. Two hens we've identified easily as Buff Orpingtons. I'd appreciate some assistance in deterring the breed of the two hens we call "the sweeties" because they're so sweet and soft. A bit skittish at first, and seem to be a particular target at the bottom of the pecking order, but they're warming up to us and will stay still for an occasional petting if treats or snacks are involved. They always come running when snack lady makes an appearance.

Posting pictures here, because I've looked at the Barred Rock and Dominique threads and judging by the photos posted, I'm not seeing the definitive bars or stark black/white coloring in those two breeds. Feather coloring is smoky gray/brown. The sweeties have pale legs, defintely not yellow, but not white like the BOs. They both have spiked combs, but one is a bit floppy. Body size is smaller than the BOs, which are the largest in our flock. I'd appreciate some opinions on whether or not the sweeties are Cuckoo Marans or if they're something else.
Do they lay darker than normal eggs? That would help decide. But, I do think they're cuckoo Marans.

Hi SoCalChic - your girls look like Chocolate Cuckoo Orpintons to me. They also come in a bantam size. Google some images and see what you think.
Throwing another option into the mix? Aiiieee.

I googled images of chocolate orpingtons as well as running through the breed threads and images on BYC. They are gorgeous that's for sure, but mine are not nearly as fluffy. Also, my sweeties have more white/cream than the choc orps I'm seeing. They also have a more solid color feather pattern than my sweeties.

Last edited:
Do they lay darker than normal eggs? That would help decide. But, I do think they're cuckoo Marans.

Good question. I'm going to have to monitor the nest box carefully to see who's laying what color egg because I often have two of one color. Since I've got to BOs I can't tell if the sweeties are the ones laying the brown eggs with even darker specks or the tan eggs. Maybe I can find some BO egg color images and go from there.

Throwing another option into the mix? Aiiieee.

I googled images of chocolate orpingtons as well as running through the breed threads and images on BYC. They are gorgeous that's for sure, but mine are not nearly has fluffy. Also, my sweeties have more white/cream than the choc orps I'm seeing. They also have a more solid color feather pattern than my sweeties.

This is kindof what I was thinking of. This hen looks like those pics you posted. I've just never seen a brown/grey looking Cuckoo Marans. Perhaps someone else has? And seeing as your others are BO and they came together - makes one wonder. The egg colour might help you out, but some Marans lay darker than other - and so egg colour isn't necessarily the answer either. It's a mystery! Good luck!
barnie.gif

OK--now that the uploading photos glitch has been fixed ...
I've been carefully monitoring the nest box. The difficulty was that I often had two light tan eggs and two dark brown speckled eggs. I compared eggs laid over seven days, Figured out that my Silver Laced Wyandotte was laying the large tan egg with just a hint of pink, while the buff orpingtons were laying the other tan eggs. Well, one is. The other is molting ... I digress.
Posting pictures of eggs I know to be laid by "the sweeties." The first photo is taken in flat, natural light, and the second and third in bright, natural light. They both lay dark brown eggs compared to the rest of the flock (picture 4). Of the two "sweeties", one lays the darkest egg with dark brown speckles heavily concentrated on the bottom of the egg. The other lays eggs a shade lighter with dark brown speckles are more evenly dispersed.

OK--now that the uploading photos glitch has been fixed ...
I've been carefully monitoring the nest box. The difficulty was that I often had two light tan eggs and two dark brown speckled eggs. I compared eggs laid over seven days, Figured out that my Silver Laced Wyandotte was laying the large tan egg with just a hint of pink, while the buff orpingtons were laying the other tan eggs. Well, one is. The other is molting ... I digress.
Posting pictures of eggs I know to be laid by "the sweeties." The first photo is taken in flat, natural light, and the second and third in bright, natural light. They both lay dark brown eggs compared to the rest of the flock (picture 4). Of the two "sweeties", one lays the darkest egg with dark brown speckles heavily concentrated on the bottom of the egg. The other lays eggs a shade lighter with dark brown speckles are more evenly dispersed.

Hmmm....well, the orpingtons should be laying the cream/tan eggs...and these eggs are darker than what I would expect of a chocolate orp. However, they are not as dark as what I would expect out of a Marans. That being said, Marans do lay a range of dark eggs, with the Black Copper Marans usually laying the darkest. These are certainly pretty dark, so Marans could be indicated. Very interesting. I wondering if anyone else has seen a Cuckoo Maran that is more a chocolate colour than a dark grey? Is it possible that these hens are a mix? An interesting mystery! :)

I have a Barred Rock and a Cuckoo Maran chick that are both about 2 weeks old. The one I think is a Barred Rock is almost twice as big (119 grams vs 62 grams). Do Cuckoo Marans grow more slowly or is this just a normal variation in growth rates between chicks?

Last edited:
I ordered five cuckoo marans and picked up two barred rocks 17 weeks ago. At first I couldn't tell them apart as chicks. As they got bigger it was the yellow (barred rock) vs. gray (cuckoo marans) legs that let me know which were which. Now there is no problem as the barred rock pattern is very defined while the cuckoo marans are much more subtle and not as white.

As for the size of the birds, of all of the 48 chickens that I have that came at the same time, four of my cuckoo marans are the biggest birds in the flock. My barred rocks are just "normal" sized comparing them to the rest of my flock.It is taking longer for the comb and the wattles to come in on the cuckoo marans, though, while my barred rocks look like they are about ready to lay.

Back
Top Bottom