Cup o' Joe and Tea Too

I'll be starting with 5 per cockerel, so we'll see how it goes. Hoping I will not have to buy chicks and raise. Maybe they will do that for me?
They might! If you want chicks you can try to encourage broody behavior by leaving eggs in the nests.

I have 8 eggs in my incubator at the moment from my older girls and Jr. I'm going to process the meat bird hens in the fall and hope I get at least 4 female chicks from this batch with naked necks. 5 would be better.

They might! If you want chicks you can try to encourage broody behavior by leaving eggs in the nests.

I have 8 eggs in my incubator at the moment from my older girls and Jr. I'm going to process the meat bird hens in the fall and hope I get at least 4 female chicks from this batch with naked necks. 5 would be better.
I hatched Pippi Longshot. Only he survived the mail order of 13 eggs. Everything about that BO Cockerel has stolen my heart. I bought the Lavenders to be hatching encouragement and brooder mates. Worked marvelously. One turned out to be a cockerel which will be good if I can keep him and get some baby LOs.

That being said, it was stressful hatching that one egg!!! rewarding yes, but I hope to never put myself through that stress again. 😳 I haven't figured out the hatching addiction! :lol:

ETA: I have a BO that goes broody about once every month or two. It will be nice to allow her to sit.

😳 I haven't figured out the hatching addiction! :lol:

Shipped eggs can be across the map as far as hatching experiences. I bet once you have a really successful hatch you'll get the hatching bug too. I just had a 90% and a 100% hatch rate with the last two hatches. When they go that well it makes you want to incubate all the eggs. All. Of. Them. lol :gig

I hatched Pippi Longshot. Only he survived the mail order of 13 eggs. Everything about that BO Cockerel has stolen my heart. I bought the Lavenders to be hatching encouragement and brooder mates. Worked marvelously. One turned out to be a cockerel which will be good if I can keep him and get some baby LOs.

That being said, it was stressful hatching that one egg!!! rewarding yes, but I hope to never put myself through that stress again. 😳 I haven't figured out the hatching addiction! :lol:

ETA: I have a BO that goes broody about once every month or two. It will be nice to allow her to sit.
Shipped eggs can be a challenge. I've done that twice. The first batch were shipped in state so they never got on a plane and 100% hatched. The second batch was from NC and less than 50% hatched. My first hatch though? 2 chicks hatched, only Fugly made it past the first week and I picked up those eggs myself.

I use a humidikit and auto turner. Once it's set up I don't have to do anything but keep an eye on water levels. I would rather have a broody but I need these chicks.

Shipped eggs can be a challenge. I've done that twice. The first batch were shipped in state so they never got on a plane and 100% hatched. The second batch was from NC and less than 50% hatched. My first hatch though? 2 chicks hatched, only Fugly made it past the first week and I picked up those eggs myself.

I use a humidikit and auto turner. Once it's set up I don't have to do anything but keep an eye on water levels. I would rather have a broody but I need these chicks.
My incubator works fine and has an egg turner. But with eggs not developing, it meant I was doing a lot of worrying. The eggs were shipped across country, so no surprise really.

Fugly was a chicken? I think I need to see a picture of Fugly. :D

Back
Top Bottom