Curiosity Plus!! I am a newbie to the chicken world.

A few weeks have past now... We were told that our black one had a girls face about it and that it was an Australorp cross RIR... And the other girls were Lohman Browns. My mum is not convinced that Blackie is a girl, last to mornings has been the most vocal, I wouldn't say crowing but more of a drawn out cluck...also looks now taller then the other 2.
[/URL]

Mum is concerned that with the wattles as pronounced that we are looking at a Roo. Is this the case? BL are 10 wks and well Blackie should be 9 wks.
With that much comb and wattle at 14 weeks I would most definitely say it is a rooster, but better pictures would be helpful.

See how Blackie isn't really black, but has all those pretty colors mixed in, making him very bright and eye catching? That's rooster. So is that much comb at this age. He'll start crowing any time now.

It was a sad day for my little boy on Friday, we had to say goodbye to our beautiful Blackie, the neighbours would have complained. However we have a new girl in the family now, can't believe 2/3 weeks younger, yet looks so small to the other girls.
Meet Princess Magala (named by my son and he loves her)

Last edited:
That black one looks like a Barred Rock, Jersey Giant, or Australorp. But you won't be able to tell if its a Jersey or Australorp until the feet color develops because the main difference between the two is that the Jerseys have yellow feet bottoms and the Australorps have pinkish feet bottoms.

It was a sad day for my little boy on Friday, we had to say goodbye to our beautiful Blackie, the neighbours would have complained. However we have a new girl in the family now, can't believe 2/3 weeks younger, yet looks so small to the other girls.
Meet Princess Magala (named by my son and he loves her)
Just to throw it out there, this does indeed look like a female
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom