Curious question about pea combs. (might be a dumb question)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Trying to learn all this genetics stuff.

I've been reading the Olive egger thread where it states that the pea comb is closely tied to the blue egg gene. So I got to thinking about my LF light brahma that has a pea comb. So with brahma's the pea comb is not tied to the blue egg gene?

2. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I wondered that myself!

3. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Good, I'm not the only one. [​IMG]

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Not true at all. The pea comb and its variations is indicative of oriental ancestry. The green/blue egg gene is dominant and can be passed on to offspring, regardless of parrentage on the other side. The lineage that gets credit for that gene is the Araucana, a South American breed originally and in it`s purest form sporting muffs and no tail (called "rumpless"). You`ll here and read all kinds of opinions on this, but look`m up if you`re interrested.........Pop

5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    lollipop is right on the money! Peacombed displays Oriental ancestry. saladin

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Peacomb gene and blue egg gene are indeed closely linked, but it does not matter which allele of which is linked together--they are usually inherited together. For example

If a bird carries a peacomb and a blue egg gene on the same chromosome, they are usually inherited together.
    If it carries a peacomb and a not-blue egg gene on the same chromosome, they are usually inherited together.
    If a bird carries a not-peacomb and a blue egg gene on the same chromosome, they are usually inherited together.
    If it carries a not-peacomb and a not-blue egg gene on the same chromosome, they are usually inherited together.

About three percent of the time, a bird inherits these genes from separate chromosomes of one parent. If both parents are pure for both genes (P/P O/O), you will never see it. If a bird is pure for not-peacomb and not-blue egg (p/p o/o) you will also never see it. Likewise for P/P o/o and p/p O/O. However, if the parents are different from each other, or if one parent carries different genes you can see crossover in the offspring--if you hatch enough of them.

Say you bred a brahma (P/P o/o) to an ameraucana or araucana (P/P O/O). For convenience I am going to denote the genes a bit differently: P1/o1 P2/o2 for the brahma and P1/O1 and P2/O2 for the ameraucana. 97% of their offspring will inherit either

Brahma Ameraucana/Araucana (or even EE)
    P1/o1 P1/O1,
    P2/o2 P1/O1,
    P1/o1 P2/O2 or
    P2/o2 P2/O2

About 3% of the time a bird will inherit P1/o2, P2/o1, P1/O2 or P2/O1 from a parent; this is crossover. Once crossover has occurred, that bird's offspring will inherit that newly linked gene pair about 97% of the time.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  7. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    wow sanoran, Nice job explaining that! [​IMG]

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Sonoran sometime you blow my mind with your awesome genetic explantions!

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Thanks so much for the explanation!

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Press 1 if you'd like to hear this message in English. [​IMG]

Quote: