Curious question about pea combs. (might be a dumb question)

Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
Trying to learn all this genetics stuff.

I've been reading the Olive egger thread where it states that the pea comb is closely tied to the blue egg gene. So I got to thinking about my LF light brahma that has a pea comb. So with brahma's the pea comb is not tied to the blue egg gene?

Quote:
Good, I'm not the only one.
hide.gif

Not true at all. The pea comb and its variations is indicative of oriental ancestry. The green/blue egg gene is dominant and can be passed on to offspring, regardless of parrentage on the other side. The lineage that gets credit for that gene is the Araucana, a South American breed originally and in it`s purest form sporting muffs and no tail (called "rumpless"). You`ll here and read all kinds of opinions on this, but look`m up if you`re interrested.........Pop

Peacomb gene and blue egg gene are indeed closely linked, but it does not matter which allele of which is linked together--they are usually inherited together. For example

If a bird carries a peacomb and a blue egg gene on the same chromosome, they are usually inherited together.
If it carries a peacomb and a not-blue egg gene on the same chromosome, they are usually inherited together.
If a bird carries a not-peacomb and a blue egg gene on the same chromosome, they are usually inherited together.
If it carries a not-peacomb and a not-blue egg gene on the same chromosome, they are usually inherited together.

About three percent of the time, a bird inherits these genes from separate chromosomes of one parent. If both parents are pure for both genes (P/P O/O), you will never see it. If a bird is pure for not-peacomb and not-blue egg (p/p o/o) you will also never see it. Likewise for P/P o/o and p/p O/O. However, if the parents are different from each other, or if one parent carries different genes you can see crossover in the offspring--if you hatch enough of them.

Say you bred a brahma (P/P o/o) to an ameraucana or araucana (P/P O/O). For convenience I am going to denote the genes a bit differently: P1/o1 P2/o2 for the brahma and P1/O1 and P2/O2 for the ameraucana. 97% of their offspring will inherit either

Brahma Ameraucana/Araucana (or even EE)
P1/o1 P1/O1,
P2/o2 P1/O1,
P1/o1 P2/O2 or
P2/o2 P2/O2

About 3% of the time a bird will inherit P1/o2, P2/o1, P1/O2 or P2/O1 from a parent; this is crossover. Once crossover has occurred, that bird's offspring will inherit that newly linked gene pair about 97% of the time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom