Curled up chick toes

Lynds

Hatching
Oct 29, 2016
Hi
I have just had a chick hatched today that has the outer toe/claws curled under his feet when he's walking. I saw a video on YouTube saying to stick a bandaid on his spread foot and closing it over the top, training the bird to walk on it.
Can anyone recommend this?
Thanks in advance

Hi
I have just had a chick hatched today that has the outer toe/claws curled under his feet when he's walking. I saw a video on YouTube saying to stick a bandaid on his spread foot and closing it over the top, training the bird to walk on it.
Can anyone recommend this?
Thanks in advance
I think it's worth trying to correct it, but I'd use Vetrap instead. This condition can be caused by a riboflavin deficiency, too. Here's a thread with more info: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/51112/chick-with-curled-toes.

Another BYC resource that may be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/leg-foot-and-toe-issues-in-poultry-of-all-ages.

Good luck to you!

welcome-byc.gif
casportpony really knows her stuff.

Hi All
Thanks for your replies. I didn't think anyone had replied (must check my settings). The chick is a Silkie so he's a tiny little dude. Well I got those material type plasters the next day and put them on, splaying his toes. Took them off today and it worked! The outer toes were curled right under his feet, although they do seem to be under developed, they are now flat. His legs are splayed though, he can walk but not great so I'm trying butterfly stitches stuck together around his ankles, keeping his feet around an inch apart. I'll take them off tomorrow to see if there's any improvement and go from there. Until then he's being absolutely ruined. He loves to get away from the other chicks for some peace and quiet by sleeping on my chest with my hand over him keeping him warm. He also loves belly rubs. Any advice anyone can give will be greatly appreciated as I'm new to keeping chickens
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom