curly toe paralysis... in about a year old BR

Chrizjen

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
St. Louis
Okay, so I started out with a hatch. All of my chicks turned out to be roos. So, living in the city I had to get rid of them. My 3 year old was so patient waiting for eggs but I knew I had to do something quick. I bought a few hens from a farmer about 2 hours from my home. Later the first day I noticed a little limp, as of yesterday her foot was completely curled up when she was laying down. she can open it to walk but it is very difficult for her to do so. I did research and I do feel that it is curly tow paralysis. I now have her in a cage in the house. She is eating very well. I have been using an avian multi vitamin and a b multi with elevated levels of riboflavin. She has consumed almost 3 eggs and quite a bit of feed since being in the house. Has anyone had any luck with this? Any idea if and when these supplements may help her? The crazy part is that she is the only one that is laying eggs at this point. Should I try to give her asprin for the pain? If so, how do you feed a chicken asprin?

If it isnt mereks disease , then it sounds like a sever vitamin b 2 deficinecy bread is fortified with b 2 so see if she will eat that along with the vit treatments there is a lot of information out there on curley toe syndrome , over and over it says vit b 2 ..poultry and swine cannot function without the correct amount.

Yeah I did some research on Mareks and I don't think it is that. I feel that it is the b2. That is how I am treating it. I was wondering if anyone had any luck with splinting at this age? I am feeding a balanced diet but I don't know what she was fed before. I will guess that not too many people have had success with treating this...

okay I made a custom splint for her foot as I work in a therapy department and had use of thye scrap materials to do so. I think it fits well. She seems to be tolerating it but I don't have any idea how long to leave it on or if it might even help....

Quote:
Yes I do agree with you Chrizjen. This is not Marek’s. It is Caused by a herpesvirus, the disease is often characterized by abnormal cell growth in the peripheral nerves and central nervous system. Hence it is commonly called as fowl paralysis. The most prominent lesions may be tumors on the liver, kidneys, testes, ova, spleen and lungs. Anyways, if you want to give her asprin you can, but I think you should as doctor before giving any medicine

I am very glad I found this thread. My pullet is about 15 weeks and at first I thought it was Mareks, but the paralysis seems to only be in the toes. She is fine otherwise. For two weeks now she has been in her own 'cage' in isolation. I was worried about Mareks when she started limping and isolated her immediately.

I also started her on poultry vitamins and it seems to help her. She can walk quickly but the toes are not very useful. I can see her work to open them up when she is standing and she can walk slowly just fine. But if she gets in a hurry she will let the toes curl up and walk on the knuckles.

If a pullet survives this do the toes recover or will she limp forever?

At what point can I put her back with rest of the flock?

Back
Top Bottom