Cutsomer claims i sold rotten eggs.

Are the eggs fertilized? The inside looks like balut, a Filipino delicacy of partially incubated bird egg, which is boiled before eaten. We've replicated that if we let the hens sit on the same clutch of eggs for a little over a week, but I haven't cracked one open raw before.

Is it possible for one egg to have been sat on for many days longer than the others (assuming it's fertilized)?

I only sell absolutely clean fresh eggs (up to 7 days old) kept in a cool storage.
Washing eggs will remove their natural protective coating leaving the pores open to any kind of bacteria.
The washing of eggs can even rub bacteria into the egg.

Any soiled eggs will be turned into scrambled eggs for chickens and dogs.
In America, commercial eggs are washed and sanitized, placed into clean cartons and then refrigerated up to the point of purchase, and then the customer typically keeps them refrigerated until cooking them. I realize we are the only industrialized nation to handle our eggs this way. In my opinion, an egg that is going to be placed under a hen for 21 days to be hatched most certainly needs its protective coating to remain intact and should not be washed. However, an egg that is kept in a clean carton in a clean refrigerator until consumption is not likely to be exposed to any bacteria that could contaminate it, and will not suffer from being quickly washed under warm running water if necessary to remove nest soil, and then allowed to air dry. They should not be allowed to sit or soak in water. That's just my opinion and it's how I treat my eggs.

In America, commercial eggs are washed and sanitized, placed into clean cartons and then refrigerated up to the point of purchase, and then the customer typically keeps them refrigerated until cooking them. I realize we are the only industrialized nation to handle our eggs this way. In my opinion, an egg that is going to be placed under a hen for 21 days to be hatched most certainly needs its protective coating to remain intact and should not be washed. However, an egg that is kept in a clean carton in a clean refrigerator until consumption is not likely to be exposed to any bacteria that could contaminate it, and will not suffer from being quickly washed under warm running water if necessary to remove nest soil, and then allowed to air dry. They should not be allowed to sit or soak in water. That's just my opinion and it's how I treat my eggs.
We will let our eggs sit on the counter top for a week, if necessary , without washing them. Once we wash them then they will need to be refrigerated .
If any longer than that we will float test them before using them, just in case.

In America, commercial eggs are washed and sanitized, placed into clean cartons and then refrigerated
The sanitizing after washing them will make a huge difference, and the refrigirating as well.
Most private chicken keepers will not sanitize their eggs after washing though and often put their washed eggs in previously used egg cartons for storage.
That's just my opinion and it's how I treat my eggs.
Of course, everyone will have their own preferred way to handle their eggs according to their needs and preferences.

Just a final thought, if you wash your eggs before you sell them, why not give them the float test? I have heard/read that a rotten egg will float whereas all the fresh eggs will sink to the bottom of the bowl.
We will let our eggs sit on the counter top for a week, if necessary , without washing them....
If any longer than that we will float test them before using them, just in case.

Float testing is just a way of seeing how big the air cell is. Big air cell = floating egg. Small air cell = sinking egg.

The air cell gets bigger when the egg gets older (because water evaporates from the egg over time.)

So a float test can somewhat identify old eggs (big air cell), but cannot tell whether the egg is rotten or whether it is safe to eat.

Candling can find some things that are wrong with eggs (like big air cells or large blood spots or meat spots.) I think commercially-sold eggs in the USA are often candled before they get packed up to sell, and that's why we don't find double yolks or blood spots in them most of the time.

Hello, my sister sells eggs to many people. She has one lady that keeps complaining she gets bad eggs. I posted pictures.(i hope i did that right)....The eggs dont seem to have a rotten oder but man are they gross. Can a fresh egg really look like that inside or is the customer letting them rot trying to get free eggs? She is the only one who complains all the time. We have asked other customers about the eggs and there are no complaints. Any thoughts?

Is that egg cooked or raw?

If there was an egg with a big blood spot, and someone soft-boiled it, and then smeared the yolk around as they opened it, they might get an egg to look like the one in the photo.

Float testing is just a way of seeing how big the air cell is. Big air cell = floating egg. Small air cell = sinking egg.

The air cell gets bigger when the egg gets older (because water evaporates from the egg over time.)

So a float test can somewhat identify old eggs (big air cell), but cannot tell whether the egg is rotten or whether it is safe to eat.
Most people don’t know this, they heard if it floats it’s bad..
I know if it stands on end , it is still good, just one of our older eggs. If it floats , crack it in a separate bowl from anything else.
Talked to a lady that does pickled eggs for sale and asked if she would like to buy some of our eggs. She said she bought 9 dozen from another vendor and float tested them. 6 of the 9 dozen floated so she only buys the Walmart eggs. She was also told that the 9 dozen were layed within the last few days.

If it floats , crack it in a separate bowl from anything else.

I was taught to always crack all eggs into a separate bowl.

She said she bought 9 dozen from another vendor and float tested them. 6 of the 9 dozen floated so she only buys the Walmart eggs. She was also told that the 9 dozen were layed within the last few days.

:idunno I don't understand this. I know my fresh eggs have much darker, firmer yolks and thicker egg whites than the eggs sold at WalMart. Would that make fresh backyard eggs float more than eggs from WalMart?

Those eggs ARE nasty.
Looks like that bird is really sick. she must have a nasty infection brewing in her belly.

I'd figure out which bird is laying these eggs and removed her from being able to lay eggs that are collected and sold.
Seems odd to me that out of all the hens, this one person would get the same hens eggs over and over again. Just doesn't add up. But that's just my 2 cents.

I was taught to always crack all eggs into a separate bowl.

:idunno I don't understand this. I know my fresh eggs have much darker, firmer yolks and thicker egg whites than the eggs sold at WalMart. Would that make fresh backyard eggs float more than eggs from WalMart?
The amount of liquid evaporating from the eggs can vary as it not only depends on their age but also on the egg shell quality and the storage location (temperature and humidity).

Also porous eggs will lose more liquid during the same time span than those with a strong egg shell.

Back
Top Bottom