Cutting the feed cost of chickens

One thing to remember in considering bulk, even with a large flock, buy only what you will feed in about one month. Nutrients degrade with time.

I see what your saying, but if you have an account then you don't have to buy it all at once. You can go in every other week and grab 3 or 4 bags on your account. You can still get a discounted rate as a high volume buyer that way, and your feed never gets old.

Only problem with that is your parents will get billed monthly so they will see how much 90 chickens is costing them lol

I see what your saying, but if you have an account then you don't have to buy it all at once. You can go in every other week and grab 3 or 4 bags on your account. You can still get a discounted rate as a high volume buyer that way, and your feed never gets old.

Only problem with that is your parents will get billed monthly so they will see how much 90 chickens is costing them lol
I am paying for the feed. Not my perents.

I always do chick starter for my babies along with probiotics and electrolytes in their water. It gives them a good start. Then once they’re big enough I free range them. They know where their coop is and I still keep fresh water and a mix of egg layer pellets and scratch grain.

My feed is disappearing faster and faster as a bunch of new chicks grow.
The birds that I'm breeding are also going from Large to Huge, so they like eating.
I'm growing them some supplemental food to try and lower costs.
Sunflower fodder, Purslane and Comfrey.
The fastest is Sunflowers. They are ready in a week.
They are packed with protein and many other sources of nutrition.
The Cotyledons, or first 'false leaves' on many plants are nutrient storehouses.
They are designed to nourish the plant until it is able to grow roots.

patch411.jpg

Last edited:
My feed is disappearing faster and faster as a bunch of new chicks grow.
The birds that I'm breeding are also going from Large to Huge, so they like eating.
I'm growing them some supplemental food to try and lower costs.
Sunflower fodder, Purslane and Comfrey.
The fastest is Sunflowers. They are ready in a week.
They are packed with protein and many other sources of nutrition.
The Cotyledons, or first 'false leaves' on many plants are nutrient storehouses.
They are designed to nourish the plant until it is able to grow roots.

View attachment 1734353
I was going to start sprouting sunflowers for them I also was going to sprout oats

I would absolutely look into raising mealworms for a flock that large.

I would also practice with fermenting feed now while they are eating less. I don’t know, but I feel like I have wasted much much more food trying to get a handle on fermenting, getting them to eat it, finding the right feeders, etc than I may have saved by fermenting the feed.

The end result is great, but I wouldn’t want to be learning how to get my flock into fermented feed with 90 adult birds. :)

Back
Top Bottom