Cutting the protein in duckling food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the quote of mine that you keep taking out of other threads and reading into it.
the ""those 18%-20% or higher feeds will do it every time"

If you read what you want into that, you can make it however suits your needs.

I was replying to the original thread that was in, that yes, of those that have problems, they are usually those who feed in that protein range.

That quote was NOT meant to mean I was saying you are 100% doomed to positively get angel wing if you feed higher protein, but yes I did imply that those that do get it, are usually in that range. But you keep reading what you want and picking threw every little word of every little post and twisting it to suit your needs .

Most folks dont feed corn or soy solely to their ducklings anyway, again 99.9% use bagged feed, yes I know ALL bagged feed has those as ingredients, but they are virtually all right within a few percentage on carbs manufacturer to manufacture. So, if carbs were the leading cause, well, every duck raised in captivity would get it cause there just isnt much difference.
The major variable in ALL bagged feed is the very FIRST nutritional value they list...Protein
But you seem to be acting like folks raise their ducks feeding them off a cornfield. Or a Marita Bread Truck. I have never once given anything but bagged feed to my birds in the grow out periods of their life. Back in the early days, I fed what was at the local stores, it was 24% protein or so, virtually 50% of all my domestic ducks back then would get it. An old man told me to cut the protein, THAT IS THE ONLY THING I HAVE EVER CHANGED IN DOMESTIC DUCKS....never had a case since..so science or not....there was my proof. I dont have to have a molecular degree from Harvard to figure out if you have problem A and you change only 1 thing and problem A goes away, well there's a pretty darn good chance that was the cause.

For the 2000 time, I'm not saying that's the only possible thing at work, but is high on the list.

The exercise thing I have a hard time swallowing though, could see it if they only got it in brooder raised birds, but that's not the case either, many many free ranged or open pen raised birds get it too and they have all the room in the world to exercise.Only basis to this would be that unexercised birds arent burning off as much of the caloric intake as they should. Basically one that can exercise more can take in more carbs, sugars and proteins, because they burn more off.

The wild duck thing, well there's just something about them, they just plain dont get it much, EVEN IN CAPTIVITY. Dont know what it is, but the problem seems to ly mainly with domestic ducks , geese, and mute swans.

Not disagreeing with anyone 100%, keep having to say that over and over for some reason. But dont disclaim me either. You've got your theories based on what you read, we have ours based on our hands on experiences with them over the years...
so to each his own.

But I will continue to post on every thread I see saying IT IS NOT PROTEIN when everything leads to that being the most probable cause. If you have different opinions, that's perfectly fine,g to agree on everything. but dont try to totally disclaim years of hands on work, based on other theories. Just be willing to accept others points of view.
I've always agreed that high carbs as well as low calcium and magnesium arent good for the condition either. But there just isnt that big a of a difference in the labels on all that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom