Decreasing Protein in Feed

Ronnie_

Chirping
Mar 1, 2023
Hi all!
I’m currently feeding a duck crumble all flock feed by Dumor that’s 22% Protein. My Girls are coming up on 2 weeks old soon, and I want to drop it to 17-18% by adding in rolled oats. Anyone have an idea of how much oats (can be in volume measurements but weight preferred) to add per pound of feed?

Don't do this growing ducks need all the nutrition in their feed. They are soon going to start feathering. Switch them over to adult food at 8 weeks or fully feathered. I'm curious where the need for lower protein comes from. If you do it be sure they have grit.

Hi all!
I’m currently feeding a duck crumble all flock feed by Dumor that’s 22% Protein. My Girls are coming up on 2 weeks old soon, and I want to drop it to 17-18% by adding in rolled oats. Anyone have an idea of how much oats (can be in volume measurements but weight preferred) to add per pound of feed?
@Ronnie_
Let them eat the dumor duck crumble for another 4-6 weeks!! They need the protein for healthy growth and development. We always buy a bag of starter crumbles and finish it -- if the ducklings don't finish it until 8 weeks that is fine -- then change them onto adult duck pellets.

@Magnolia Ducks
I believe the mistaken belief that the protein should be cut back results from the equally mistaken belief that angel wing is caused by too much protein. Actually the only evidence we have about the cause of angle wing, is that the opposite is true. Angel wing is far more common in ducks living in public parks that are fed bread and other low nutrient food by Joe Public. That is, it is far more common in ducks who don;t get enough protein as well as vitamins and minerals.

Okay, I had seen on Metzer Hatchery, that I want to decrease to 17-18% from 3-20 weeks of age. I was planning on introducing grit and fresh herbs/weeds once they’re 3 weeks as well. I thought angel wing was due to excessive protein load before their wing joint is fully developed. This is my first time raising ducks so all advice is welcome 😄

Okay, I had seen on Metzer Hatchery, that I want to decrease to 17-18% from 3-20 weeks of age. I was planning on introducing grit and fresh herbs/weeds once they’re 3 weeks as well. I thought angel wing was due to excessive protein load before their wing joint is fully developed. This is my first time raising ducks so all advice is welcome 😄
High protein through out duckling growth -- to 20 weeks as per metzer -- is ok. We always buy a bag of starter crumble, use them up, and then change to duck pellets.

As above, its a mistaken notion that high protein diet causes angel wing. You can search on line and you will not find any evidence to support that theory although it is a well publicized theory [including on BYC] . The only evidence I found after extensive search on line using scientific search engines and Google, was from studies on the health of ducks living in public parks or on public waterways. Those ducks have a higher than average rate of angel wing. Their diet is high in carbohydrate from bread fed by the public, and low in protein, fats and minerals. This is epidemiological evidence that demonstrates an association but is not proof of a cause. No one has deliberately fed ducklings too much protein or too little -- and I do not want that sort of direct evidence. I think it would be cruel to the ducklings involved as nutrition during duckling growth is important for healthy general growth, brain development and overall wellbeing for the life of the duck.

So the only evidence indicates low protein, high carbohydrate diets are associated with angel wing. The theory generated is that there are underlying genetic associations [angel wing does occasionally occur in ducklings raised on good age appropriate duckling food] but that feeding ducks bread and other low protein, lower fat food has an added impact, increasing the incidence of angel wing.

I feed game bird feed to 3 weeks that’s 30% protein then I mix in oats and by the time the bag is used up I switch to all flock as I have a menagerie. Not all protein sources are the same imo. I prefer real protein even if it’s bugs.

Back
Top Bottom