Cutting Your Chicken's Nails

CupOJoe42

CT Chicken Whisperer
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
My chickens are about 7 and 11 weeks old and I my arms are loaded with scratches, not because they are mean, but because they love to fly up on me and sit on my arms to be petted. I was wondering if, and how you cut their nails. How do you hold them to do this? Is it a 2-person operation? Do you use a canine nail clipper? File? Dremel? Let them scratch on concrete?

I love my chickens, but people look at me with pity when they see my arms. It doesn't really bother me - I wash them with soap and water after handling the chickens and I put neosporin on the scratches, so I'm not worried.

Pictures would be helpful!!!

Personally I wouldn't touch them. they are critters and critters need what they have to survive. They need their talons to scratch and defend themselves. I would recommend wearing long sleeves, or gloves or not handling the birds.

Seriously, Seriously, Seriously - go and get a Tetanus jab.

Without delay.

Go to your Doctors and ask for it.

It's the same thing, whether by cats, hens or any other animal
with sharp claws - they get dirt in their nail grooves, this gets
under your skin and then you are at risk of a pretty serious
infection that can leave you not just poorly but have long-term
effects, too.

My cat used to scratch me and I looked like some junkie with track
marks all up and down both arms. Not only was this not a good look
but career and social-limiting, too. I always use long sleeves now.

Sorry to be dire - it's your health, it's your choice.

e2a:
Look at Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus

"Tetanus occurs worldwide but is more common in hot, damp climates with soil rich in organic matter. This is particularly true with manure-treated soils, as the spores are widely distributed in the intestines and feces of many non-human animals such as horses, sheep, cattle, dogs, cats, rats, guinea pigs, and chickens."

Last edited:
It could be a 2 person job depending on the chicken
I wouldnt Use a dremel because the pressure and speed can cause friction induced heat on the nail.
We sometimes clip just the point off ( away from the quick which is more deceiving than a cats or dogs) using a humans nail clipper turned vertically.. and a very rough emery board just to give a quick one two to dull it. Always have Kwik Stop Styptic Powder on hand before you attempt any cutting of the nails, as accidents do happen.
For long term, I would think about constructing a concrete platform in the pen or you can purchase emery board perch covers .
I Think its wonderful that you have such a strong bond with your chickens , and that you hold them and interact with them regularly -We do too !
Plus by handling the birds frequently you will have a much better chance of detecting injuries or illness' right away!
thumbsup.gif
Your an Awesome Chicken Keeper!

With fall you may be wearing more long sleeves soon. I have only clipped the nails of a couple of my chickens. I used a dog and cat nail clipper. having two people is helpful. Just like with cats and dogs you need to be careful of cutting the quick and causing bleeding. So you would want to only cut the very tip off. Scratching on cement or buying the perches for parrots that are textured like sand paper could help.

Not handle the birds!!!! Are you kidding me???? I handle my birds all the time and am not about to stop now!!!! I handle all my animals or I wouldn't have them to begin with. My Tetanus shots are up to date, I wash thoroughly and completely, wear a mask when I clean the brooder, and I've never been sick. My cat is not declawed and I would be more afraid of snakes, spiders, and insects than I would chickens. Not to mention catching something from the children that I teach in school. I can understand some people don't want to handle their poultry, but I do and that's why I wanted to hear a response from people who do their nails. Thanks for your concern anyway!

P.S. I am allergic to Tetanus and have to have the "animal Tetanus" shot versus the "human Tetanus."

Last edited:
Although mine free-range, I guess we have too much grass because the nails of my older girls grew a little too long. My DD and I did it together and found it is much easier as a 2-person operation. She held while I clipped. We used dog nail clippers and it is exactly like cutting a dog's toenails. Be careful not to cut too short and get to the quick - they will bleed. (Plus it hurts). Just in case though, have styptic powder on hand so that if you do accidentally cut too short, you'll be prepared.

We only had to cut the nails of two hens. The rest of the flock thought it was great - they hung around trying to be the first to grab the cut off nails. Hey - good calcium source, I guess.

I have an ugly orange hoody I wear everytime I go see my chickens or goats. It covers my clothes and arms from any dirt or mud or poop I might come in contact with. Might help save your arms too. You could get a prettier color though.

Back
Top Bottom