Cystadenocarcinomas in Laying Hens - Graphic pictures

Yeah no thanks. Lol i had on cysts on my ovary and that burst one day and that was extremely painful i cant imagine how painful it would be if all of those burst. Yeah no that would be just finish me moment. Poor chickens and this is a form of cancer in hens. I assume like one of the other post you posted these pictures in it feels like the hen has a water belly. I assume they die from this?
None of the hens were mine, and according to the pathologist I use, this condition is not as common as the oviduct cancer I usually see. I'll look for the threads that I found the pictures in and you can read about them there.

--Kathy

Sadly, my fav 6 yr old hen, Precious died of this yesterday. I orig thought water belly or internal laying. She stopped laying in spring but always had a healthy appetite. She remained top hen even when she could no longer run. She hobbled to greet me each day but spent more & more time resting under her fav tree as the summer progressed. Now in fall, her abdomen was extremely enlarged, the penguin stance was the norm, and I began to see her use her wings to steady herself as she waddled.

Precious was part of our family and enjoyed her spot as top & elder hen. She was never a high production hen but her attention-seeking personality made us love her nonetheless. Her eggs were large with those dark golden yolks. At 1 yr old she ripped a nail (It grew back) and she had a case of bumble foot about 3 years ago. Otherwise, she was a healthy barnyard mix. Our flock has basic chicken feed but also free ranges during the day. They get kitchen veggie scraps a couple times a week. No other hens have had this.

RIP my dear, sweet Precious.
View attachment 1547894
I'm so sorry to hear about Precious:hugs

Thank you for taking the time to share her story and the photos.

Oh my goodness! That's the weirdest thing. I've never seen the egg yolks clear like that. I can't believe that one chicken had egg yolks in it's skin! Looks like that would hurt real bad! Poor chickens! :hit
Those are not egg yolks.

Back
Top Bottom