Darn temperature!!!

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
My temp has been holding steady for the last eight days. Last night I candled and it seemed like it took a while to get back up to normal, but it did steady after a bit. I got up this morning and it was down to 99.something (I have been shooting for 102 since I have a still air bator). I fiddled with it a bit and got it back to where it was holding steady for a few hours. I went to work and came back to find it was at 98.6!!! What the heck?? So now I'm worried about the eggs and wondering why I had no problems keeping a steady temp for eight days and all of a sudden it's giving me problems. Darn it!

Last edited:
It shouldn't be. We always keep it at about the same temperature in the house. It certainly isn't any different than it has been for the last eight days.

if the weather outside is changing like is in nevada, that could have something to do with it..; even if the tep in the room isn't changing, mmaayybe???
barometric pressure and outside temps...??
does it sound a little like i know what i'm talking about?? i have no clue.. sorry... was just typing outloud.. lol....
i spent 2 days getting mine to the right temp and getting it to be stable, i haven't messed with it since then... it fells the same when i open it, so i haven't looked... i'm going by the cross you fingers and don't forget to turn method....

You have had the worst time with this incubator!! Are you sure it isn't cursed?

Have you gotten the temps stabilized now? I don't know about still air, but with the fan 99.5 is the normal temp. I do know still air is supposed to be warmer than that. I'm just thinking that you probably haven't killed your eggs, just maybe postponed the hatching by a few hours.

I have heard that 98 for too long can cause quitters though. So you want to get it back up to 100 as soon as possible.

I know you will have babies hatch on the 25th with me! I just know you will, there are people out here in Chickenland pulling for those little ones.

Laney

It has been my experience that when the incubator was sitting on a concrete floor, that we could not get the tempature to hold. The floor tended to suck the heat out of the thing.

We finally sat it on a stack of telephone books, and that seemed to provide enough insulation to keep it steady.

Rufus

Mine sits on top of an old sewing machine table. Way off the floor. I'd be the first to kick it. I was shocked today when I heard a chirp come out of my bator. I have the first hatch in a clear tub on a table and they where watching me and chirping amoungst themselves. I can imagine just what they where thinking.

A few hours later it got louder and I went to look and it was a peep. It didn't take long before it was zipped. Then I hear another one. Same thing, I go back and there is a hole. These 2 along with the other 10 of them I didn't expect to hatch. I couldn't see through the eggs because they are brown and green, 6 each. So far 1 of each are alive. The temps where so unstable for the first 2 weeks it was driving me nuts and I know I lost 4 of my AO eggs because of it. They had started growing then stopped and then the dreaded blood ring.

you have to place the bator in safe, rarely visited and *untouched* by people around you, make sure not near at window, fan, or an air conditioner.

if needed, place a warning mark near the bator, "it's forbidden for anyone,include animal(hope they can read it
big_smile.png
) to get nearer to the bator" .
smile.png

and honestly, that kind of fluctuating temp is very common, i'm sure that there's no bator that can hold temp very2 steady, even the best bator will fluctuate in range of 0,1-0,x degree.

mine fluctuate from 29 deg to 40 deg C (i think about 90-110 deg in F) when i incubated and some made it (and some not).

good luck and godspeed.
smile.png

Mine did the same thing with that storm we had. Then I adjusted it, got it perfect, and last night it was up to 102. So I'm adjusting it back down now. Oh and after all that rain we had, my humidity went up too.

Well, even though my temps where off, they started hatching last night. I have 3 right now. 2 ee, 1 pr. But shes not red, she is almost white. I had 2 roos at the time. one EE and one AO. It blead alot too. when it pushed away from the shel it was actually having drops of blood come from its belly button. I guess it hurt because it was trying to rub it with it's feed making it worse. I put a dab of papertowel on it and applied a little pressure and held it cupped in my hands holding it over a heater. It was a bit listless when I put it back in the bator. I'lll have to watch that one.

Back
Top Bottom