(Day 1) 29-Day Giving Challenge - A place for sharing.

Quote:
Aww Debi. That makes me tear up. My grandpa was a non-reader and so folks in our small town used to do the same things for him. Thankfully most folks are honest...especially the ones he used to get to write out his checks at the stores...
wink.png

Thanks for the happy memory of Grandpa this morning.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Foodbanks are so in need these days!

Just a suggestion for folks who donate...call your foodbanks or visit them to see if there are certain items that are really in need. The one that we donated to in NY, never had PB and J. So, when our local stores had it on sale for .99, we would buy a case of each to donate and some smaller grocery chains will give you the sale price even if its not currently in the sale flyer if they know that you are purchasing it for a pantry or food bank. Just an FYI
smile.png

We're lucky in that respect because the two grocery stores here on the island have blackboards at the store where the food bank lists what they are in need of. The food bank gets in touch with the stores to see what is going to be on sale and use that to decide what they are in need of.

Quote:
Oh my goodness, I've faked it so many times. I like how you put it - hard time getting out of my own way. That rings so true for me.
smile.png

Today I tried to give away 1/2 dozen eggs to my elderly neighbor. I went to her house several times before she answered the door. Then she refused them; she can't eat eggs, it turns out. But in the conversation, I found out her adult grandkids have moved out, and she's all alone in her house now. So, I offered to help her in any way, if she needs it. She seemed happy to know that. Then I wandered around in the rain with my little carton of eggs, until I found another neighbor, who was home. It turns out, this neighbor was very excited to get the eggs when she found out they were 'local'. She grinned at me, "I feel blessed today!" Turns out, so do I. Now I'm drying off and am going to give myself the treat of reading my Plant Medicine book for a while.

I can totally picture you wondering around in the rain trying to find someone to give your eggs to. The image has given me a smile.

Quote:
I don't know how many times I've suspected someone is struggling with a seemingly simple task and averted my eyes. Thank you for sharing this, Debi. It's a little kick for me to be less into myself and more open to the everyday struggles of others.

Quote:
I think next week I'm going to have to dress up like a little kid and walk back and forth in front of your house
wink.png
I'm glad you were patient and persistent. It looks like you found the perfect recipient for a special rock.

I don't know if I could give anything to the woman who hates your chickens. I look forward to reading how that one goes... when you're ready of course.

Quote:
I have an incredibly hard time accepting the kindness of others... it's like I don't want to be in debt, or don't feel worthy, or don't see it till it's off the table... or something like that. I've recently begun forcing myself to say, "you're welcome" when someone says "thank you." I find it embarrassing to say, "you're welcome."

lol... maybe a gift I can give is to be open to receiving a gift. Now how great would that be?
wink.png

Thank you for bringing that up!

Back
Top Bottom