Day 17 Situation, Input Appreciated

Here are the first four.
20181017_131843.jpg

One of your own crosses...parentage?
This one is easter egger x blue copper marans. Looks like a blue chick. I'm pretty sure my easter egger rooster carries blue egg genes, but I'm not sure how many copies. I crossed him with a bunch of different brown egg layers to try to get some shades of olive.

This one is easter egger x blue copper marans. Looks like a blue chick. I'm pretty sure my easter egger rooster carries blue egg genes, but I'm not sure how many copies. I crossed him with a bunch of different brown egg layers to try to get some shades of olive.
Only 6 months to wait and see what you get!
Have done OE's using blue laying EE hens under a Wellie cock, did get a couple olive or dark khaki layers but browns were prevalent. I finally got a BCM cock and CCL hens last year for guaranteed OE's, and BackCrossed one of the previous OE's....they are all just about laying now. Not entirely sure all the BC have laid yet but all eggs so far(7 out of 10) are oliveish.
It's fun, but tedious indeed.

Only 6 months to wait and see what you get!
Have done OE's using blue laying EE hens under a Wellie cock, did get a couple olive or dark khaki layers but browns were prevalent. I finally got a BCM cock and CCL hens last year for guaranteed OE's, and BackCrossed one of the previous OE's....they are all just about laying now. Not entirely sure all the BC have laid yet but all eggs so far(7 out of 10) are oliveish.
It's fun, but tedious indeed.

Congrats! Hopefully I'll find out soonish. I have EE x EE pullets from him that hatched in June out of blue eggs. Their eggs should give me an idea. He's a good rooster and I don't really care for crested breeds, so we'll see. I only need a few OE's for my pen.

I woke up to more chicks this morning. Five more since last count and I'm up to 10!

Back
Top Bottom