Day 24 (2 eggs left) cracked open to:( what are it's chances?

MuskokaChick

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Muskoka Region Ontario
We have 8 chicks hatched on Wed Thurs (Day 21)

today is day 24 and 2 eggs left.

I candled and there is no movement.

I cracked one open at the air space and looked in and dead.

The second one I cracked...same way...blood
sad.png

Then the chick started moving. I have put it back in the incubator. Feeling sick to my stomach

Will it survive?

I have a broody hen, but will she peck it if blood there? Should I just leave it in the incubator?

Last edited:
if you cracked the side of the egg.. it will probably bleed to death

what I do is candle the egg to see where the air cell is sitting.. then i punch a small hole into the air cell.. that way if the chick is still alive I don't kill it

how badly is it bleeding and how did you crack it open?

If it's still alive I would wrap some wet paper towels around the egg.. if you can see the beak make sure you don't cover it with the wet paper towels

no I cracked the air sac, but a bit of the egg shell broke open into where the chick was and the bleeding was there...it stopped, it is back in the bator on a wet paper towel...the chick is still moving.

stress.

ok.. keep an eye on it.. if the paper towel starts to get dry add some water to it or replace it with a fresh wet paper towel.. the chick should hatch out on it's own if you keep the membrane moist

what is the humidity of the incubator?
make sure it's at at least 60%

Thanks so much!

The temp is 99.9 and the humidity is 75 right now.

Chick is still moving around.

This afternoon I have to head out and nervous about leaving it for so long...probably back around 7 or 8 pm *sigh*

So maybe gone a total of 5 hours.
sad.png

Will just make sure everything is good before I leave. Hindsight is 20/20, crap.

OK

Thing is I am not seeing the beak...so wondering if it is at the wrong end...I don't want to touch it anymore, but I don't want it to die either...

the wet paper towel is loose around it, but not covering the opening.

When I came home the chick was dead
sad.png

on further inspection, there was something wrapped over the chicks head causing it to be imbobile...it was like a cord of some sort over the top of the head and down under the beak. I wonder if this is why it couldn't pip (couldn't move it's head)

so sad
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom