Day 27 incubating HELP

Cactus Girl

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2019
Hi everyone! I’m on day 27 with this Cayuga duck egg and I’m a bit concerned about it. I candeled it to check on it and I feel like it shouldn’t look like this. I see lots of movement and when I put the egg down I can see it slightly move, but I don’t see any “distinct” duck features in there. It looks like cells stuck to the side that are moving. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 29640898-42CD-4562-911E-21CB424E8D9C.jpeg
    29640898-42CD-4562-911E-21CB424E8D9C.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 57B49E62-6409-4DAC-ACD9-3C8718BA13F4.jpeg
    57B49E62-6409-4DAC-ACD9-3C8718BA13F4.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 8EC58137-32BE-40FF-8788-C80025D0CF18.jpeg
    8EC58137-32BE-40FF-8788-C80025D0CF18.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 21E30279-ADB7-45ED-9B42-17127692841D.jpeg
    21E30279-ADB7-45ED-9B42-17127692841D.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 15
The movement stopped completely on Wednesday and I gave it until this morning. I opened the egg to find a fully formed duck but was pretty small and it was already gone. Somehow the yolk had broken and was all over the inside of the egg. I buried it in my flower garden. I'm so bummed. I don't know what went wrong.

I've decided to just let it be. I can candle it until my head is spinning but in the end, it's probably best to just let it be and give it time. Tomorrow morning I will probably make a safety hole, or maybe tonight and then just let it be. Crossing my fingers, although I have a feeling it's going to be a no go. I will keep you all updated. Thank you so much for the responses.
Definitely don't make any holes in the egg before it internally pips because it will definitely die if not ready..

I didn’t mean to imply it was your fault. I have had it happen also, so I know it isn’t intentional. I don’t think it’s necessarily the number of turns, but being sure when you turn that they do make “full” turns.

I normally lay them in rows, pick up the egg on the end of a row, roll the whole row toward the empty space that I just vacated, then manually turn the egg in my hand, and lay it on the other end. This avoids left turn, right turn, left turn, etc. It also leaves them not so necessarily with the same spot up or down all the time.

I have no real proof that it makes any difference, but I do try to watch CAM development now, to make sure the blood vessels extend throughout the whole egg.

If you watch during the first 7-12 days, you can actually see the CAM develop on the side of the egg that is upward. When you roll it, the development goes to the bottom side, but will gravitate back to the top eventually. If it moves across the same side every time, it misses an area and causes those clear gaps.

It’s all a learning process and I’m only trying to help future hatches. Not pointing fingers or trying to make anyone feel bad. These things just happen sometimes. :hugs

The movement stopped completely on Wednesday and I gave it until this morning. I opened the egg to find a fully formed duck but was pretty small and it was already gone. Somehow the yolk had broken and was all over the inside of the egg. I buried it in my flower garden. I'm so bummed. I don't know what went wrong.

It happens, it’s not always our fault, sometimes they’re just too weak to hatch or have something going on internally.

We lost an entire clutch all because of a power outage and the incubator was off for too long.

Sadly, not all of them are going to make it, but that just gives us a reason to be thankful for the ones that we do have. :hugs

That's what I felt too actually, but I'm just terrible at judging from photo so I'm not sure. I'm hoping that it really moves as the OP says. Normally I move my own eggs very gently so I don't have any dead egg sloshing.

Where are you (OP) located? Judging from the thigh and the shorts of your assistant and your floor and the size of the air cell, you're somewhere tropical, aren't you?
Gosh, I wish. I’m in Wisconsin just tropical plant obsessed. I’m going to try to get a video shortly and hopefully that helps. I just don’t have a good feeling and so bummed.

I've decided to just let it be. I can candle it until my head is spinning but in the end, it's probably best to just let it be and give it time. Tomorrow morning I will probably make a safety hole, or maybe tonight and then just let it be. Crossing my fingers, although I have a feeling it's going to be a no go. I will keep you all updated. Thank you so much for the responses.

The pics look like a goner to me also. Especially the side with all the clear fluid. That shouldn't be there. Did you use an automatic turner or hand-turn? I ask because sometimes we get those clear sides when they aren't turned enough, or the CAM just doesn't fully envelope the entire contents like it should.

I don't think its in any danger of exploding, so I'd just leave it until the hatch is done.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom