dead with bloody stool....can cracked corn kill them?

mabhera

Songster
9 Years
Jan 1, 2012
Puerto Rico
A few days ago I was asked to go rush to my second job and I was supoused to get the chickens feed that day ( I was out). I had only a hour to get the feed ,feed them, water them, get dressed and go to job. so in a rush I just took out of the car the cracked corn and just gave them all that. When I got home founded the smaller ones (3 weeks) with pooping blood...and dying one after another. I ran to check the other chicken and found them looking ok and just one drooping looking a little bloody (they are 2 1/2 months old) That was 2 days ago and still has blood in the droppings. I'm scared that I loose that one too.

I think there is a problem with the corn or a problem of lack of grit....anyone know anything about it? What can I do? HELP!!!!

I don't think a bit of cracked corn would have hurt for just a day. You may have a outbreak of Cocci.....do a search to find the treatment. I believe it's called Ampril (spelling check) and I hear
it works good if you catch the Cocci soon enough. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

The chicks that died had no contact with other chickens....they where inside the house still. can you get cocci without contact with other chickens? can it be transmitted in the eggs? They were hatched in a incubator and they lived still inside the house with no contact with other chickens....The 6 that were inside died in less than 12 hours of the first bloody stool....and the stool looked like pure 100% blood. The day before the poop was ok.

Maybe the corn is bad. I stopped using it that same day....I want to rule out the grit problem or that I gave too soon corn to them..

The one that is having the bloody stool now looks like a clear gel with some blood in it.

Liked your article a lot. Thanks for taking the time to put all those information together for us. Do you still think It could be cocci?

Last edited:
The one that is having the bloody stool now looks like a clear gel with some blood in it.

Liked your article a lot. Thanks for taking the time to put all those information together for us. Do you still think It could be cocci?

As recommended in the link by Willowbranchfarm, I highly recommend that you purchase Corid 9.6% (amprolium) liquid solution. Mix 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5-7 days and dose your bird using an eyedropperful of the mixture 4-5 times a day until she is able to drink the mixture on her own. If you dont, you'll lose her. Corid can be found in the cattle section at the feed store.

As recommended in the link by Willowbranchfarm, I highly recommend that you purchase Corid 9.6% (amprolium) liquid solution. Mix 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5-7 days and dose your bird using an eyedropperful of the mixture 4-5 times a day until she is able to drink the mixture on her own. If you dont, you'll lose her. Corid can be found in the cattle section at the feed store.

X2 ASAP

Back
Top Bottom