Deaf rooster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you are obviously getting upset about this, and I have no idea why, I am hoping this thread gets closed soon as you don't really want to hear others opinions on the idea of making a rooster deaf for your own benefit.

Alrite, let's all play nice and agree to disagree.

That being said, unless you physically remove the cochlea from the bird, chances are they will regenerate their hearing to at least some degree despite physical or chemical damage. Since birds have very acute hearing, removing it entirely may cause other social issues with the birds behavior wise.

I'm sure it "could" be done, but for research on pet animals/behavior that doesn't support human health or industry, I doubt IACAUC will pass the animal use protocols required for such experiments. Per their rules, you have to humanely kill things like fish with anesthesia, while thousands of wild fish get dragged up in nets, hooked by the mouth, and just tossed back in if they are undesired. With the state of funding at this time for research... even projects to save or improve the well being of humans are being cut. If all the money spent on fighting was spent on curing diarrhea or providing clean water, we would have fixed the number one killer of children in the world.

Perhaps the first experiment that can be asked is on behavior of why they crow. We know that the behavior is not started in the presence of other roosters, because roosters grown up in the absence of other roosters still crow. If a rooster was made deaf as a chick, we would be testing for if their ability to hear will determine if they will crow, while if we made a rooster deaf as an adult post crowing, we'd be seeing if "geriatric" hearing loss stops crowing.

Based on humans, being born deaf doesn't make them mute, and going deaf as an adult doesn't stop humans from talking. So I don't know how feasible this type of research would be, just based on previous work in the field.

Dont make him deaf...just dont keep him...why would you want to do that anyways?

This would just hurt the roosters that would be tested fot this and if you do not want to here them crow, then you shoudl just not have them. :|

Quote:
Yep, I'm afraid you're right on all of your points, SilkieChicken, especially about the government's priorities and the research's chances of being funded (or some kinds' even getting approval to be done). Too, "Perhaps the first experiment that can be asked is on behavior of why they crow." could be the best starting point for the research.
I want to thank you for not being so rude as to presume to tell me not to have a rooster just because I suggest finding a way to develop roosters that don't crow would be a good thing.

I am just going to say this and move on ---

I think making the rooster deaf on purpose is as cruel as those people who cut the vocal chords on dogs.

neither of these needs/should be done

if you dont want to hear your rooster crow or have him bother the neighbors etc ... than dont get one at all

you really need to ask yourself why you want the rooster around in the first place -- if he is to protect your flock than keep them locked up, you dont need a rooster for eggs so if you want to hatch eggs get a bator and get some eggs, if you just want a rooster around because he is pretty - than stick to getting really fancy nice looking hens and leave the roosters for others to keep.

Quote:
or hire a Hitman to take out the neighbors? :eek:. (Im bored... so like. no one trash me because of this.. :|). i dont know. honestly i would never live near neighbors with chickens.

Quote:
Well, I just want to say THIS and move on.
I wish that you and a few others would learn how to READ or at least learn the original purpose of this thread. It has NOTHING to do with a rooster that I have or will ever have. I am not going to waste my time explaining it again to you or anyone else on a high horse who can't get their heads out of the sand long enough to find out what they're talking about.

Alrite, well this thread seems to have run it's course. The OP simply asked if there was anyone with experience with a deaf rooster and how it affected crowing. Nowhere did they say they were going to make their rooster deaf.

The original question:

Has anyone ever had a rooster that was born deaf or became deaf as a chick for whatever reason or known of anyone else's having one? Did it learn to crow? If so, did it crow very much?

Has anyone ever had a rooster that later became deaf (accident, sickness, whatever) or known of anyone else's having one? Did it stop crowing? If not, did it crow as much as it did before?

Perhaps a research article should be omitted in the future as it is clear the purpose of hearing research directed towards the goal of understanding regeneration of hearing was mis understood, and taken as an article to support to deafening roosters and preforming "needless" research on animals. Technical jargon just doesn't make sense to those outside the field.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom