Dealing with bumblefoot epidemic

fatcatx

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Northern California
First, let me say I'm using the word "epidemic" loosely since we just have a little backyard flock. That said, EVERY one of our girls has bumblefoot and I'm not sure how to proceed.

I'm trying to figure out the source of our problem. Our coop area is clean. Our climate is dry so nothing mucky. Their roosts are made of sanded and stained 2x4 so other than smoothing it out again, what else can I to to prevent this?

Also debating how aggressively I should be treating? All show the black scab but foot otherwise looks normal. I've read in some threads that it is advised to leave it alone unless it progresses. I've got a lot of feet to soak so I admit that sounds appealing!

The whole thing has me stumped. In our earlier flocks bumblefoot was very rare.:barnie

No advice, but we're dealing with the same thing here - four out of six hens affected. However, it doesn't seem to be bothering any of them; they run around just fine. Our roosts are 2x4's with the square edges rounded off a little. I think we'll sand their roosts again just to see if that makes a difference.

I was under the impression that as long as you kept their roosts in good condition and their yard free of things that could cut their feet that bumblefoot was an occasional annoyance. Clearly this is not the case. :rolleyes:

I really hope to hear from folks that did not have serious negative consequences from just monitoring it. My DH had been very helpful in working on some of them but 10 feet in a day may put him over the edge.

Still hoping someone will chime in? Anyone else employ the "wait and see" approach? I guess what I'm really asking is does every case of bumble eventually blow up? Or is there a likelihood they can show no other signs for 1+ years?

Also- should I bother bleaching/disinfecting perches or is that just a waste of time since wood is porous?

In addition to the info above I have found that painting my roosts helps. It seals them and prevents splinters better, and I spray and wipe with plain white vinegar once a day. My roosts are 2x4's and 2x3's, so I sand them smooth and put a couple of coats of good exterior grade paint on them. They are then sealed and the daily cleaning does not cause the grain to raise.
They will require sanding/repainting periodically, but it's not that often unless it's a favored spot. It does seem to help.
I have left very small lesions alone and just observed, and sometimes they will resolve on their own, but not always. But if you see any swelling or redness, or if the lesion is large, or the bird is limping, I would not let it sit untreated.

Back
Top Bottom