December 2022 hatch-a-long

13 left for day 16-17, I am heating up my hatching incubator I am moving my eggs to tomorrow for lock down. It is still air foam farm innovators. I have distilled water in the water troughs after dry hatching first 18 days. I also have pennies before 1982 in water for the zinc. I placed the curve of the wire flooring so the curve is down, and the eggs will not roll towards the walls of the incubator.
View attachment 3340660
I also put down rope for the eggs to rest while hatching, and the hatched chicks cannot play soccer with the unhatched. (Sample eggs on fish stringer rope works great.)
View attachment 3340662
When adding the water to the troughs, take the floor wire out first, water clings to the wire floor and you don't want eggs to touch wet.
What is the zinc penny supposed to do?

The 12 in lockdown day 18
55e.PNG

Plus the one lone not in lockdown. (Turner is off though.)
55d.PNG

day 19 sitting on hands and waiting.
That part is so hard!!!

I am day 17 but they seem like maybe they are a tad behind. I took the turner out but will wait on upping the humidity until I see air cells drawing down. I think my incubator ran a bit cooler with the cold weather so my house is colder, but when I tried to bump the temp up a bit I had a couple times the thermometer I have inside would go to like 100.4 so I got nervous and bumped it down. In the spring and summer when u incubated my ave temp would be about 99.5-99.6. Think this time it is closer to 99.2 or so. Guessing that is what put them behind

Nope, but I’m hatching for someone else. I brood outside anyway with the mama heating pad method
Not sure what your weather is there but what temps have you brooded outside with the MHP? I did it with my April chicks but we had stuff going on so they were inside until the end of April I think. I am trying to decide when to hatch next year. Hoping to hatch that any I keep start laying before the shorter days kick in..

Back
Top Bottom