Deep bedding

I use the deep litter method and love it! I use peat moss, mulched dry leaf clippings (pick them up for free in the fall, I get enough to use through the whole year) and if we get a lot of rain, I throw in some of the pine horse bedding pellets to absorb the moisture (I do have a covered pen, but the side are somewhat open. I turn it all over 1-2 a week and it's perfect. It turns into a beautiful compost in about a year or less and I just shovel the access to places like my rhubarb plants, to fill in duck-made holes, topsoil for the garden etc.

If I may- chickens go in their coop to purch, sleep, lay eggs, that is if you have your nesting boxes in the coop and most of all a safe place to go. This makes their coop the main place to go. First of all chickens don't care and they don't have a care, where they poop. So to jump ahead of all of the other stuff related to this subject, They poop in their coop and their liter system is takes the brunt of it. I don't care what system you use, they are going to poop in it and scratch in it. They will peck and peck in it. You are not going to change that. That is like asking a duck not to get into water. So what system do you choose. Several systems work, but they do different things. Some control the smell but you have to change it on a regular basis. Some control the moisture but you have to change it every other day or even daily. Some do a combination but you are still on a regular maintenance schedule. A Lot of it is based on cost. All of them work but with different results. For me, I want less maintenance and overall less cost. This is my choice and I believe that the Hemp product is the best product for the results and dollar spent. A lot of you will defend basic products because you have easy and affordable access but not everyone has that option. Imagine this, what if you never had to change your poop coop but once a year? What if you never had the bad smell that came with chicken poop, this is a big one? You can order it online. NO I don't make a dime on this product from any company. I just believe in the product, and what it says it can do and what it actually does do. Just my thought and experience. You need to find your comfort zone. For me, it is the Hemp system that does it for me.

What is

What is the HEMP product? I have used wood chips for years with no problems and never thought I was WAISTING my money!!
Sorry, it wasn't my intention to offend you or anyone for that matter. Most of the people in these stories are complaining about how much they tend to their chicken poop. Some say they use poop boards, others use straw ect. and they have to clean it all of the time. I use to do the same thing. If wood chips are working for you, then thats great. Not everyone has access to wood chips and I have never used them. I have used saw dust, wood shavings and straw and I am constantly cleaning, disposing and buying new material for my coops. The reason for my comment was when I discovered the Hemp product, it did everything it said it wood do and I don't have to clean, dispose or purchase any but maybe once a year. Plus because the product starts decomposing right away, it's a natural product that is great fertilizer for my garden, pasture, flower bed ect. the uses are endless. It doesn't smell at all which makes it easier to work with. I thought the purpose of these forums was to share our experiences to help each other.

Again, I apologize I didn't mean to offend you. I don't think you are waisting your money on wood chips. Have a great day.

I have the deep liter system using the HEMP product. 6 months so far and no smell at all. This will last over a year before i clean it. It decomposes right away and begins breaking down the smell as soon as it drops. LOL. If you are not using the Hemp product for your deep litter system then you are waisting your money and spend way too much time tending to it. FYI - I have 20 chickens in a 6' x 8' coop and it works great. I have absolutely no smell at all. I am a firm believer in this product.
I have to add a 👍🏻 To the hemp bedding usage ! Absolutely love it , never tried the other ways but did research plenty before choosing the hemp and have not one complaint .

I cannot make anything out of your pictures much Mewcycle other than it looks like a Fort Knox for Chickens. You have a chicken maze going on for sure. Definite entertainment and a way for them to keep from getting caught quickly. They look very secure. I just cannot see the chickens for the shadow of the sun rather the overcast of it depending on what time of the day you took the pictures and I could not see much because of it. Sorry. I don’t mean to be critical or judgemental. It looks like you have a great deal of space in these areas to work with. Maybe you could retake the pictures bin earlier morning or when it’s a little overcast so we could see better?
That was actually pretty critical. 😳 Thanks for your input? What I have is what came with the property. I don’t have any trouble catching my hens since they will jump into my lap. There is a “fence” wall (with a small chicken size gate) in the middle of the coop which I have opted to leave in place since I may need that separation at some time. I assume that is the “chicken maze”. I left the sink frames in place because the hens like to jump up on them to actually get closer to me 😂. I may take them down at some point, but for now I see no reason.
As for the shadows, I am surrounded by large cedars and oaks. We are gradually clearing some out. But I doubt I’ll get any “non shadow” pictures any time soon.
0BDC934B-C1D9-4CDB-AB69-B2453D3A1229.jpeg
This is the best I could do. I really thought it was the floor of the coop or lower walls that we were looking at. Did you want pictures of my chickens as well? 🤷🏼‍♀️
Here ya go! 😍
F99B001C-A82D-469B-AB94-6F2B0E801FFF.jpeg

That was actually pretty critical. 😳 Thanks for your input? What I have is what came with the property. I don’t have any trouble catching my hens since they will jump into my lap. There is a “fence” wall (with a small chicken size gate) in the middle of the coop which I have opted to leave in place since I may need that separation at some time. I assume that is the “chicken maze”. I left the sink frames in place because the hens like to jump up on them to actually get closer to me 😂. I may take them down at some point, but for now I see no reason.
As for the shadows, I am surrounded by large cedars and oaks. We are gradually clearing some out. But I doubt I’ll get any “non shadow” pictures any time soon. View attachment 2374667This is the best I could do. I really thought it was the floor of the coop or lower walls that we were looking at. Did you want pictures of my chickens as well? 🤷🏼‍♀️
Here ya go! 😍View attachment 2374666
I was afraid of that which is why I was trying to tell you that was not my intent. There has been so much of that going on lately that I did not want to be doing that so please know for a third time it was not my intention. You have a good setup even though it was left to you on the property. Shade is good and once taken away is hard to get back. They love things to roost on. And yes the floor is the priority hence the maze was my focus but not in a bad way. Thought it was. A good thing for them just making a comment that it might be hard for the keeper at times — I’m disabled so I think that way. Not everyone else is thank goodness. Your set up is clean, neat and good for your birds. That is what counts. Your chickens are very good looking birds too with what sounds like a very caring owner who prioritizes their needs.

Heya, I just wanted to add that the deep litter method isn't nearly the exact-science that some websites would have you believe. I'm a relative newbie, I started with about 5 inches of pine shavings on a dirt floor. I was really surprised at how well it worked with only a weekly turning. I toss scratch on it as a treat at night, so they do a lot of the work too. I've added more litter (less than an inch each time probably) a few times since, but it's been a few months and it's surprisingly clean! I even have turkeys in there and those are some big poops. In fact, the only time it smells is after the turkeys drop a few bombs, but a quick litter tossing does the trick. So long story short: Give it a try! It's almost fool-proof, easily adjustable to fit your situation, and works great! Good luck!

Am I the only one here that thinks chickens scratching around in their coop with all of their poop is unhealthy? Why would you want your chickens scratching around in their poop? Seems unsanitary to me.

Chickens can't be toilet-trained so the poop is going to be there.

Deep Bedding, whatever substrate you choose to use for bedding -- straw, shavings, stall pellets, hemp, rice hulls, shredded paper, sand, etc. -- dehydrates the poop so that no bacteria can grow. This renders it odorless and safe as long as it stays absolutely dry (which should almost always be the goal inside the coop).

Deep Litter, whatever substrate you choose to use for litter (see list above not including sand), creates a composting reaction with the poop, digesting and neutralizing it in a moist-but-not-wet environment. This also renders the poop odorless and safe.

They poop in their coop and their liter system is takes the brunt of it. I don't care what system you use, they are going to poop in it and scratch in it. They will peck and peck in it. You are not going to change that. That is like asking a duck not to get into water. So what system do you choose. Several systems work, but they do different things. Some control the smell but you have to change it on a regular basis. Some control the moisture but you have to change it every other day or even daily. Some do a combination but you are still on a regular maintenance schedule. A Lot of it is based on cost. All of them work but with different results.

Exactly.

Cost, and how much daily labor you're willing and able to put into it -- without fail, every day, no matter the weather or how you're feeling.

I like my deep bedding/deep litter because I can schedule maintenance around my work schedule, my arthritis, my asthma, and the weather.

Los of people join/browse/post the forums for months/years before getting chickens.

Yes. I was a member, posting questions and reading threads, for years before I got my first flock and periodically checked in between that flock and this new one. :)

Back
Top Bottom