Delaware Gang @ Two Weeks Old (PICS for Del Fans)

When I first opened the thread I said "Oh Cyn's got a nice pullet." Then my second thought was I hope that isn't her special chick.

Wow, what beautiful chicks. My gosh, I have never seen a Delaware up close. Just plain pretty...

You know, I may want one or two someday... you know, more emergency eggs for my Lacy, lol.

Tracy, there are several really robust boys in this batch, I think, so even though this one isnt a cockerel, she will be gorgeous and she's very bright and super-friendly. Her name is Georgie, after her sire, the studly George. I was becoming pretty sure she was a pullet. I'm sure that I will have some wonderful birds from this batch.
Ellie, if you want something besides babies from your Rhett, you just let me know. The Delawares change alot as they mature, so stay tuned for progress pictures of this bunch.

Ed, you should be able to tell by six weeks on the sex, though most declare themselves earlier than that. The males do seem to have lots of patterning in the shoulder area, though later, some of that fades out.

wee.gif

Thats what I have ordered!

I just watched an episode of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. The show had a hatchery sexing chicks they showed how to sex them by the wing feathers if you spread the wing & look at the tip where the feathers are coming in if they have long & short feathers on the wing tips it's a pullet, all the same size it's a roo..
thumbsup.gif
? why does my smileys not show up well i guess my smiley worked this time never has before

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry, countrygirl, but that method only works with certain breeds or hybrids. And Delawares aren't one of them.

Yep, that's one of the big boys! These little guys are flying all over the brooder--sometimes they look like feathered popcorn, jumping across their space.
We have a few rainy days and I think as soon as there's a clear spot in the weather, they will go out to the Firetower, which is now my grow-out coop. Tom added interior walls, insulated with plastic grocery bags so it's cozier and we've already done a run-through with the heat lamp. A 250 hung at the highest point of the roof makes it right at 95 degrees directly underneath and we'll add a second lamp with a regular bulb in it as a heat backup in case the 250 quits on us. Should be good. That coop has an attached covered pen so they can go outside as soon as the weather permits.

Cyn they grew so Fast! Thanks for giving me a Delly Fix for the Day! I miss hatching!
hit.gif
My girls Still are not laying either! Tuxedo sure has been "busy" lately though.... lol. The first chick looks like a pullet from my little experience with Del chicks...

Back
Top Bottom