Delawares @ 10 Weeks Old (PICS)

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
They are growing like weeds! The boys think they are hot stuff; they're grabbing the girls by the headfeathers and making them yell, LOL. The girls are spunky and sweet. For those who do not know, their markings clear up and evolve over time, so these have a ways to go before we'll see the final result.

DCP_2790.jpg

DCP_2785.jpg

DCP_2783.jpg

DCP_2789.jpg

DCP_2788.jpg

To see the pair I have for sale, check out:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2138281#p2138281

I had my Delaware cockerels processed at about 17 weeks. While it was easy to tell the roosters apart, they were not getting mean even though they were in pretty close quarters. They were allowed the run of the yard during the day.

I'm including a picture of one of their tails because I'm curious about whether all that green is a good thing. It doesn't look right, but I didn't know better last year and hadn't noticed again until just now.

13544_tail_feathers.jpg

Quote:
I'd say that's a Delaware mix... perhaps with a Silver Phoenix??!

Pretty, but not standard Delaware.

Last edited:
Well, it's not the green, per se, but the lack of barring in the main tail feathers that would concern me there. Looks like there's been a recent Columbian Rock in that bird's family tree. It's fairly common with hatchery stock.

It didn't come from a hatchery. But, I don't know how far removed from a hatchery it was.

Some of these Columbian Rock/Dels are already many generations out from the original cross. If no one culls out the ones that lean heavily toward the CR side, then, the off traits will just go on and on, I would think. Best thing to do in my opinion would be to start with stock that hasn't been diluted that way and you'll achieve something much faster. I think in preserving a breed, that is very necessary.

Back
Top Bottom