Delete a post ?

Discussion in 'Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by ChooksRfun, Jun 1, 2019.

1. ChooksRfun

ChooksRfun In the Brooder

Sep 9, 2018
    I need to clean up my content, but I can’t figure out how to delete a post
    Or thread. Help! Thanks

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    You can use the report button on posts to request an edit or deletion. Staff can then review the posts or threads and if needed or warranted take action. Alternatively becoming a Premium Feather Member will allow you to edit your posts for longer and also support BYC. More info on PFM can be found here ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/byc-premium-feather-membership-upgrade-pfm.47730/
    PFM’s can also be won in the contest section ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/sponsored-content-contests-and-giveaways.15879/

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator

One quick additional note: in general we try to avoid deleting threads. We've found that it isn't fair to all those that participated in the thread to have their content removed.

muddy75, aart, drumstick diva and 2 others like this.
  4. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Um, I've seen entire threads get deleted when one bad argument breaks out. Then everyone loses everything for one little spat.

In general, and this isn't meant to question authority, what are the reasons behind deleting a thread?

drumstick diva likes this.
  5. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator

It's extremely rare that we permanently delete entire threads, especially ones that are on-topic to raising chickens / overall helpful. There are times that our team will remove threads from public view that actively have a lot of rule-breaking behavior, and we have to basically "pause" the flood of activity while our amazing team deals with the posts, cleans things up, reminds members of our rules, etc. before putting the thread back publicly.

It's really at the digression of our entire diverse team's perspective, but in the relatively rare cases where we remove threads, it's when they are off-topic and the net-pros provided to the community (and internet in general) is outweighed by the net cons.

For example: Someone starts a political thread that quickly goes south, full of arguments, hurt feelings, drama, etc. and then results in dozens of reports. Our team will frequently permanently remove these threads from the forum.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    good to see you Nifty, I miss you.:frow

muddy75, Nifty-Chicken and HuffleClaw like this.
  7. ChooksRfun

Sep 9, 2018
    Thank-you!

8. ChooksRfun

Sep 9, 2018
    Got it. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: