Denagard Dosage

Pics
Can you tube feed the denagard medication individually?

I have a sick roo- I'm almost sure he'll pass over night, but the denugard I was told is arriving tomorrow. I need to know how to medicate him with it- if its not too late. I'm thinking he'd do best if it was in his food that I will tube feed him with. I do have capsules but I'm not sure he is swallowing- he's just that weak. He is not really eating anymore- off food yesterday, slipping fast, sadly. Now I have another hen following him- gurgling, sour crop, lethargy, coughing sneezing. (This roo never coughed or sneezed, just gurgled every now and then which would confuse me).

So either way, I need to figure out if this is ok- to tube feed it, mix it with the food. The hen is still walking about and nibbling on food, but is resting most of the day. She's the 3rd chicken in my flock to get sick and I've been treating them with everything I've got and nothing is working, so my hopes are the denagard will help clear up the problem. One died suddenly, this roo will maybe pass within 24 hours, and the hen still has about a week, I'd guess.. maybe less. She's not quite off food yet and still walks around some.

There are published doses for once daily oral dosing. However, there are several people who have posted that this medication is quite irritating if not diluted, so I would be reluctant to give it all in one single daily dose. I would probably divide it into 3 separate doses, and mix each dose into a full tube-feeding meal. That should dilute it out enough to not be irritating to the crop. It would be essential to mix it in thoroughly. You'd be using a very small volume of liquid, and you don't want it improperly mixed, and possibly the tiny volume of necessary medication stuck to the wall of the tube, or retained in the tube as you remove it.

One of the oral doses specific for "adult poultry" is 30 mg/kg per day for 7 days. So if you're tube feeding, you could mix 10 mg/kg into 3 different tube feedings per day, which would bring your total daily dose to 30 mg/kg..

To figure out how much to use, weigh the bird first. Most people in the U.S. will weigh in pounds. Convert the weight to kg.

Pounds divided by 2.2 = kg (Examples: 5 pounds divided by 2.2 = 2.27 kg. One pound divided by 2.2 = 0.454 kg)

Second, determine how many mg of medicine you need by multiplying the dosage for each feeding (10 mg/kg) by the kg weight of the bird
(Examples: 10 mg/kg X 2.27 kg = 22.7 mg 10 mg/kg X 0.454 kg = 4.54 mg)

Third, determine how many ml you need by dividing the number of mg by the concentration of the medicine (Denagard is 12.5%, which is 125 mg/ml). (Examples: 22.7 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.18 ml 4.54 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.036 ml)

So, if you're using the dose of 30 mg/kg/day and you divide it up into 3 separate feedings, the dose per feeding for various weights would be:

3 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 1.36 kg X 10 mg/kg = 13.6 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.11 ml
4 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 1.82 kg X 10 mg/kg = 18.2 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.15 ml
5 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 2.27 kg X 10 mg/kg = 22.7 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.18 ml
6 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 2.73 kg X 10 mg/kg = 27.3 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.22 ml
7 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 3.18 kg X 10 mg/kg = 31.8 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.25 ml
8 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 3.64 kg X 10 mg/kg = 36.4 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.29 ml
9 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 4.09 kg X 10 mg/kg = 40.9 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.33 ml
Etc, etc, with the final dose in ml mixed thoroughly with the tube feeding slurry

There are several other published doses for direct oral use, varying between 25-50 mg/kg. To use a different dose, simply chose the dose you want, divide it by the 3 feedings, and substitute that dose into the equation instead of the 10 mg/kg in the above examples. For instance, if you wanted to use a maximum daily dose of 50 mg/kg, and you had a 7 pound bird:

50 mg/kg/day divided by 3 feedings per day = 16.67 mg/kg

7 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 3.18 kg X 16.67 mg/kg = 53.0 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.42 ml, mixed thoroughly into tube feeding slurry

(For those of you who use a calculator and get a very slightly different result, that is because I've done each step separately for instructional purposes, and have rounded off each number in each step separately to the nearest tenth or hundredth place. A calculator won't do that for you. So if you do the equations all in a line with a calculator that reads out 6 digits after the decimal place, you may end up with a final ml that is a few hundredth off my calculations. Not a big deal, as you aren't going to be measuring to that level of accuracy anyway.)

If math is overwhelming for you, just use a calculator and take it one step at a time, referring to the examples so that you know that you're doing each step properly. Be sure that your final ml dose comes out in the right ballpark. That's the most important thing. If you're a few hundredths of a ml off in your calculation, no big deal. If you're 10 or 100 times off in your calculations, then you could have a serious overdose.

Last edited:
@Sydney Acres
bow.gif

-Kathy

Question my husband purchased a new bottle of denegard on Friday. Unfortunately he left the bottle in his truck all weekend & it was near 90 both days. What are the chances the medication is still good?

Question my husband purchased a new bottle of denegard on Friday. Unfortunately he left the bottle in his truck all weekend & it was near 90 both days. What are the chances the medication is still good?

Unfortunately, not great. The bottle specifically says to store at a controlled room temperature between 59 - 77 F. There's usually quite a bit of leeway with those numbers, so if it gets a little cold or a little hot for a short time during shipping it's no big deal. But 90F outside can be 120-170F or more in a vehicle, which is why dogs and babies die so often when left in cars in the summer. Before you throw it out and replace it, you might want to call the technical services department at the manufacturer, just in case they have some specific information about high temperature storage. (The number should be on the bottle.) However, I wouldn't mention that you're using it in birds, as it is only approved for pigs in the U.S. They get a little nervous when people try to talk to them about off label use.

Unfortunately, not great.  The bottle specifically says to store at a controlled room temperature between 59 - 77 F.  There's usually quite a bit of leeway with those numbers, so if it gets a little cold or a little hot for a short time during shipping it's no big deal.  But 90F outside can be 120-170F or more in a vehicle, which is why dogs and babies die so often when left in cars in the summer.  Before you throw it out and replace it, you might want to call the technical services department at the manufacturer, just in case they have some specific information about high temperature storage.  (The number should be on the bottle.)  However, I wouldn't mention that you're using it in birds, as it is only approved for pigs in the U.S.  They get a little nervous when people try to talk to them about off label use.

Thx I was sure it most likely wasn't good but he insists that its fine. Don't want to risk using it on my birds.

There are published doses for once daily oral dosing. However, there are several people who have posted that this medication is quite irritating if not diluted, so I would be reluctant to give it all in one single daily dose. I would probably divide it into 3 separate doses, and mix each dose into a full tube-feeding meal. That should dilute it out enough to not be irritating to the crop. It would be essential to mix it in thoroughly. You'd be using a very small volume of liquid, and you don't want it improperly mixed, and possibly the tiny volume of necessary medication stuck to the wall of the tube, or retained in the tube as you remove it.

One of the oral doses specific for "adult poultry" is 30 mg/kg per day for 7 days. So if you're tube feeding, you could mix 10 mg/kg into 3 different tube feedings per day, which would bring your total daily dose to 30 mg/kg..

To figure out how much to use, weigh the bird first. Most people in the U.S. will weigh in pounds. Convert the weight to kg.

Pounds divided by 2.2 = kg (Examples: 5 pounds divided by 2.2 = 2.27 kg. One pound divided by 2.2 = 0.454 kg)

Second, determine how many mg of medicine you need by multiplying the dosage for each feeding (10 mg/kg) by the kg weight of the bird
(Examples: 10 mg/kg X 2.27 kg = 22.7 mg 10 mg/kg X 0.454 kg = 4.54 mg)

Third, determine how many ml you need by dividing the number of mg by the concentration of the medicine (Denagard is 12.5%, which is 125 mg/ml). (Examples: 22.7 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.18 ml 4.54 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.036 ml)

So, if you're using the dose of 30 mg/kg/day and you divide it up into 3 separate feedings, the dose per feeding for various weights would be:

3 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 1.36 kg X 10 mg/kg = 13.6 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.11 ml
4 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 1.82 kg X 10 mg/kg = 18.2 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.15 ml
5 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 2.27 kg X 10 mg/kg = 22.7 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.18 ml
6 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 2.73 kg X 10 mg/kg = 27.3 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.22 ml
7 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 3.18 kg X 10 mg/kg = 31.8 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.25 ml
8 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 3.64 kg X 10 mg/kg = 36.4 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.29 ml
9 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 4.09 kg X 10 mg/kg = 40.9 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.33 ml
Etc, etc, with the final dose in ml mixed thoroughly with the tube feeding slurry

There are several other published doses for direct oral use, varying between 25-50 mg/kg. To use a different dose, simply chose the dose you want, divide it by the 3 feedings, and substitute that dose into the equation instead of the 10 mg/kg in the above examples. For instance, if you wanted to use a maximum daily dose of 50 mg/kg, and you had a 7 pound bird:

50 mg/kg/day divided by 3 feedings per day = 16.67 mg/kg

7 lbs divided by 2.2 lbs/kg = 3.18 kg X 16.67 mg/kg = 53.0 mg divided by 125 mg/ml = 0.42 ml, mixed thoroughly into tube feeding slurry

(For those of you who use a calculator and get a very slightly different result, that is because I've done each step separately for instructional purposes, and have rounded off each number in each step separately to the nearest tenth or hundredth place. A calculator won't do that for you. So if you do the equations all in a line with a calculator that reads out 6 digits after the decimal place, you may end up with a final ml that is a few hundredth off my calculations. Not a big deal, as you aren't going to be measuring to that level of accuracy anyway.)

If math is overwhelming for you, just use a calculator and take it one step at a time, referring to the examples so that you know that you're doing each step properly. Be sure that your final ml dose comes out in the right ballpark. That's the most important thing. If you're a few hundredths of a ml off in your calculation, no big deal. If you're 10 or 100 times off in your calculations, then you could have a serious overdose.

Thank you so much for this. He's still alive and well so far... thanks!

I've just used Denagard for the first time and I was worried that they wouldn't drink it because of the bitter taste. I was going to do the preventative dose but with all the heat I had been putting it off (didn't want the birds not drinking on a hot day). I had ordered the stuff when a bird had died only to get the necropsy report back that she was perfectly healthy so I assumed it was the heat. Then I lost another hen and attend more shade. Then I lost another hen of a more heat tolerant breed in a pen that had full shade on a cooler day so everyone is getting the treatment dose of Deagard. I went with the lower dose someone mentioned on the non-US site for Denagard. at 8cc/gal or 40cc/5 gal. I boiled a pot of water and added a few cups of sugar once it was hot (I didn't measure it). I didn't have any juice but figured that since people put line in Tonic to mask the bitterness that lime might work. Luckily I had 4 cans (5.5 oz) of Margarita Mix on hand and added those four cans to 5 gallons of water/sugar. Well...they all seem to be drinking it just fine. Luckily today will be a bit cooler and less humid so even if they drink a little less hopefully it won't matter.

Last edited:
I have read everything on here about the liquid 12.5% denagard however I have a question? I need to treat over 100 birds from weights as little as 0.45 kg to 5.45 kg. With that being said I have ordered the premix What I am trying to rack my brain with is dosage. I go through 45.45 kg of feed every 5 days. How much denagard 10% premix do I use? It should not be much because in swine it is 9.09 kg of feed per ton of feed equaling 8 oz medicated feed per 22.73 kg bag of regular feed for swine.
What I would like to know is a simple formula of how much premix to add to a 50 lb bag of feed that will last me 2.5 days on the higher end of the ppm

oh and let me add that this is the Denagard 10 Type B medicated feed at 10g/lbs

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-451160

Chickens (broiler, replacement pullet, laying and breeding hens)
Treatment and prevention of chronic respiratory disease (CRD) caused by M. gallisepticum and airsacculitis and infectious synovitis caused by M. synoviae.
Dosage - Treatment and prevention: 25 mg tiamulin hydrogen fumarate/kg bodyweight daily administered for the period of 3 to 5 consecutive days. This is normally achieved by an inclusion level of 250-500 ppm tiamulin hydrogen fumarate in finished feed provided that feed intake is unaffected. Inclusion levels in the higher range will in most cases be needed to avoid underdosing. In fast growing birds, e.g. broiler chickens during the first 2-4 weeks of life, inclusion levels in the lower range may be sufficient.
Amount of THF (mg/g) per premix formulation

Amount of premix formulation per one tonne of feed

2.5 - 5.0 kg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom