Denagard Dosage

If the antibiotic amoxicillin worked, it may have been MG or something else. If you are only seeing sneezing and diarrhea, it could just be a virus called infectious bronchitis. That would last around a month or a little more, and has to run it's course. IB will make them carriers for up to a year, so it frequently spreads through the flock, or to any new chicks or birds added for a year. They can also test for IB. It is the most common of respiratory diseases and less serious. Denagard would not help with IB.

I'm at a loss what to use for my sick chicke! any thoughts?! your help is appreciated. someone recommended denagard but I don't know what she has!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-it-always-serious.1250503/

When treating with Denagard as a preventative, how many days to people treat? I am thinking one day per month - thoughts? Thanks everyone -
My understanding is that the preventative dose was meant to be 100% of the time. If your birds actually need it then it is a treatment dose and if they are already carriers then a constant preventative dose is given. At least that was my understanding. Maybe I’m wrong. Technically it isn’t an antibiotic it’s an anti-microbial. If it was an antibiotic you’d need a prescription.

No, Denagard is an antibiotic. There are still many antibiotics that you don't need a prescription to use in livestock. Just go to your local feed store and you'll find not only Denagard but also chlortetracycline, penicillin, oxytetracycline, sulfadimethoxine, sulfamethazine, and tylosin, to name a few. (In CA specifically, some of these listed require a prescription, but not in other states.) All antibiotics are antimicrobials, although not all antimicrobials are antibiotics.

Preventative treatment is not used 100% of the time for antibiotics. Using this 100% of the time would also select for antibiotic resistance, and would make the medication less effective or possibly even useless for treatment if symptoms became severe. Chronic use of antibiotics at low doses for prevention, or repeatedly short durations, are specifically the reasons that so many antibiotics that had been available OTC and now prescription-only meds. Their misuse has caused significant problems.

No, Denagard is an antibiotic. There are still many antibiotics that you don't need a prescription to use in livestock. Just go to your local feed store and you'll find not only Denagard but also chlortetracycline, penicillin, oxytetracycline, sulfadimethoxine, sulfamethazine, and tylosin, to name a few. (In CA specifically, some of these listed require a prescription, but not in other states.) All antibiotics are antimicrobials, although not all antimicrobials are antibiotics.

Preventative treatment is not used 100% of the time for antibiotics. Using this 100% of the time would also select for antibiotic resistance, and would make the medication less effective or possibly even useless for treatment if symptoms became severe. Chronic use of antibiotics at low doses for prevention, or repeatedly short durations, are specifically the reasons that so many antibiotics that had been available OTC and now prescription-only meds. Their misuse has caused significant problems.
Unfortunately feed stores dont carry most if not all the drugs you mentioned, thanks to the FDA for the very reason you mentioned. Scripts are required.
I specifically remember sulfamethazine liquid (sulmet) pulled from shelves, cant find tylan 50 or 200 no more and most of the "cyclines" are history.
However there are other ways to obtain 'some' of these antibiotics without a script.

They're still on the shelves of many feed stores unless you're in CA. If they're not at your local stores, it's because the feed store managers don't understand what the restrictions do and don't cover, and they don't want to go through the trouble to find out. Many drugs used to be available without a prescription, and have since become prescription, but all that I mentioned I can go buy easily as OTC meds at my local feed store in WA state. Everything I mentioned is also available at this link, OTC and at a good price, including the "cyclines" in various forms and tylan in various forms and concentrations, marketed differently for different species so you'll have to look around the site a little, if your feed store isn't interested in carrying it:
https://www.valleyvet.com/?ccd=ISM0...t)&utm_term=Valley Vet&utm_content=Valley Vet

My understanding was that the Veterinary Feed Initiative made it so that any antibiotic administered through feed or water would require a prescription but it did not cover injectables. For some reason they recently decided to also pull Tylan off the shelves. I went looking for Tylan-50 and only found a few bottles of Tylan-200 that were left. I went ahead and grabbed one in case of emergency. You can still find some of the old antibiotics now sold for fish (it’s a loophole) and even Tractor Supply carries some of those now...like “Fish Mox”=amoxicillin.

Back
Top Bottom