Depressed chicken?

MKillgore

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2023
Hi, so I’m having issues with one of my sweet hens, italiano, and I think she might be depressed. We recently lost our bantam silkie hen, which italiano would hang out with. She has been isolating herself and refusing to eat unless I make sure she is, or do anything else. Are there any suggestions that I should try to help her? Also is there any potential way that I can get her to gain some weight? She has lost quite a bit.

Yes, Italiano does sound like she's depressed, and with good reason: she lost a good friend. There is quite a bit of evidence that animals do grieve over losses like that.

It will take time for her to feel better. Keep making sure that she eats, and do your best to see that she moves around some.

I hope others who have had to deal with this situation can offer some advice. All I can offer is hugs for you and her.
:hugs :hugs

Welcome to BYC. Do you have any others? A companion would be good if you don’t have others. It is sad when they lose a buddy. I would keep trying to tempt her to eat, and spend more time with her for company. Sometimes just going out to tidy up and check on them a few times a day is helpful. I had a lone hen last year, the last of my flock left after a bobcat killed 3 10-11 year old hens. She was a loner which is how she survived, and she seemed to be happy enough until she eventually died. Sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry to hear that .
What did you lose the silkie to? How long has this been going on?
I’m not really sure how we lost her. Our dogs were by here in the yard, she liked to venture in but she’s forget how she’s get in there. She passed on Saturday night, and I think italiano has been like this for a few days now. I think I started noticing this on Tuesday, but this could have started a little earlier, I’m not really sure. But I did bring her inside she does have a bad leg and she can’t really stand without getting all muddy right now, and I don’t think that is helping anything. She did eat some mashed banana, a little bit of egg, and some water. I did mix some oregano leaves with the banana to help her digestive system.

Welcome to BYC. Do you have any others? A companion would be good if you don’t have others. It is sad when they lose a buddy. I would keep trying to tempt her to eat, and spend more time with her for company. Sometimes just going out to tidy up and check on them a few times a day is helpful. I had a lone hen last year, the last of my flock left after a bobcat killed 3 10-11 year old hens. She was a loner which is how she survived, and she seemed to be happy enough until she eventually died. Sorry for your loss.
Thank you! She was our only silkie hen, we do have two bantam roos, but the hen was pretty much the only other chicken she’d hang out with. It’s a little hard for her to keep up with everyone else. This did happen towards the end of the day, and I was going out to check on them again because they like to wander :), I have to to make sure nothing try’s to get them because we live out in the country. It’s not fun worrying about the different predators, but our sweet barn cat “little kitty” acts as a livestock guardian to them for the most part( she wanders sometimes). But thank you! Once again

Back
Top Bottom