Depressed rooster???

JestersEye

Songster
14 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Mullica Twp., NJ
My son has seven chickens he is raising for the 4-H and they all just recently passed the blood test for good health. Since then, just in the last day or so, I've noticed that the smaller rooster (a Blue Andalusian) hasn't been crowing and he seems to be acting kind of depressed. He seems alert and coordinated, but tired and slower than normal. He even came up to me and seemed to want to be picked up. I brought him in the house for some TLC and he's been happy to nap on my lap and likes it when I massage his comb and wattle. I am concerned that the larger rooster (a somewhat aggressive Blue Orpington) has been bullying him and not allowing him to mate with any of the hens (3 Orps and 2 Andies), and I am planning on separating the breeds as soon as I can get another pen built. He has never appeared wounded or beat up, so I figured that everyone was getting along. Could his lower pecking order be the cause of his apparant malaise or should I worry that he is sick or something? What should I do to help him perk up? He's our favorite rooster, and we'd be very sad to lose him.
sad.png

Last edited:
I would be very concerned for his health. I have had birds that were being bullied & they seem to perk right up away from the flock. Give him extra treats & check him for any health issue you can. Good luck.

I think his comb and wattle are a bit duller than normal, also... not bright red like usual. I have separated him from the rest of the flock and I got some VetRx for poultry and added it to his water, along with a small amount of Duramycin-10 powder. I was even able to make him drink some by offering it to him in an eye dropper. After that, I saw him drinking from the waterer on his own, also. He also pecked at some watermellon, and a bit of crumbles which I left in his cage with him. Right now, he is in an open-bottom dog cage in the yard over some clover. I'm hoping that he will be tempted to do some foraging. He pooped once while I was caring for him in the house and it seemed dry and greenish in color, but with some white spots in it. Does that mean anything?

Last edited:
Update: I've had our smaller rooster separated from the flock for most of the day, and he seems pretty content. I have seen him pecking at his food and drinking from the medicated water a few times. I even let him out loose in the yard and he walked around slowly with his tail looking droopier than usual, scratching and pecking a bit at the ground. When I went to pick him up again, he fluttered his wings a tiny bit and made some cackling sounds, but he was still really easy to catch. I still haven't heard him crow at all today, which is unusual for him. I am hoping that continued isolation and medicine in the water will bring him around. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Should I add some sugar to his water to give him more energy? How about Apple Cider Vinegar, which is supposed to increase appetite (at least in rabbits)? Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote:
Oh yes!!! Thankfully, he's made a full recovery, and is strutting around happier than ever!
big_smile.png
I hadn't gotten many responses on this thread, so I wound up starting a new one when his condition worsened. You can find out about his treatment by reading the following thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=221110

Unfortunately
, one of his hens took ill a month or so later... which may or may not have been related to whatever had made him sick. We lost her, I'm afraid.
sad.png
My experiences appear to have helped another BYCer, with a similarly affected rooster, though.
smile.png
The link below will take you to that thread, which talks about his ailing rooster, as well as my sick hen: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=227048

Hopefully
, you will learn something that might help you or someone else in the future. If nothing else, I hope you enjoy the stories!
smile.png

Take care,
Shari

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom