Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

This is a depression era recipe. I dont know the exact measurements as I've always just judged it, as I was shown as a child. I believe this is some sorta version of chicken paprikash, a hungarian recipe passed down from my great grandmother. It was always just called "chicken and dumplings" in our house, although it is far from any other chicken and dumpling recipes I've seen/had. The dumplings taste more like homemade noodles than bread-tasting dumplings. I've always just like the dumplings in the sauce/juice made from the chicken drippings, oil and onions. Some of my family add sour cream to the finished product (I dont like sour cream). If anyone tries this, please let me know how it worked for you, and what you thought.

Pour about 2 T oil in a pot. Place 4-8 (depends on how many you're feeding) pieces of chicken (thighs, drums, breasts whatever)into oil and cook until browned and maybe about halfway cooked through. Finely dice (or food process) one med yellow onion. Slice 1/2 a green bell pepper into strips (can be omitted, but does add a lot of flavor). Add onion and pepper to pot of oil and chicken. Add 2 t paprika, 1 t salt and maybe 1/4t pepper. Turn burner down as low as it will go and cover pot tightly!!! You need the condensation on the pot lid to not escape, but to drop back down into the stew...

Now, this will cook for about 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally, so it don't scorch. Half an hour before you're ready to eat, put on a large pot of boiling salted water. In a large bowl mix ABOUT 2 cups of flour, one beaten egg, 1 t salt and just a LITTLE water. Mix it all up, it should be gooier than pizza dough, not dry at all... It should be stretchy, sticky, and gooey. If it's dry, add a dab more water. If it's too watery to be able to pull off a piece of it, add flour.

Using your fingers or a spoon, drop into boiling water in balls/globs of about the size of a teaspoon's worth. Time ten minutes from when the last "dumpling" goes in.

Ymm, sounds like spaetzle to me
wink.png

Quote:

Quote:
In my opinion you are on the right track with the paprika chicken with possibly spaetzle/dumplings added
smile.png
it is very similar ingredients to a dish I had in Germany.
Spaetzle is a noodle consisting of lumps or threads made from a batter of flour, milk, eggs, and salt, usually poured through a coarse colander into boiling water, and then either drained and mixed in butter, lightly pan-fried, or added to sauces, stews, etc.
Your dish sounds wonderful!

Last edited:
YUM!!..good recipes everyone!...
tongue.png

CABBAGE DINNER RECIPE

1 1/2 pounds hamburger, drained
1/4 cup catsup
1/2 head cabbage,shredded
6-8 cups raw potatoes, diced
Velveeta cheese
1 12 cups milk

Brown the hamburger, drain and add the catsup and set aside. Layer in a baking dish 1/2 of the cabbage, 1/2 of the potatoes, 4 or 5 slices velveeta cheese, and all of the meat mixture. Add another layer of the cabbage and the potatoes. Pour 1 1/2 cups milk over the casserole. Bake, covered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 350 degrees.

Cheese Enchiladas

1-12 count- pkg. corn tortillas
Heat each corn tortilla by dipping it in hot oil or about 10 - 15 seconds per side and stack them on a small plate until all are heated. Cover with foil to keep warm.

1 pound Monterey Jack cheese
Grate the cheese

4 Cups of Red Sauce

MAKE THE RED SAUCE:
4 Tablespoons of lard or bacon drippings
6 Tablespoons flour
4 cups water
5 chicken bullion cubes
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4-cup tomato sauce
dash of Cayenne Pepper

Melt the fat in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and
cook and stir until the flour is lightly browned. Add the water and stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Add the bullion, chili powder and cumin and tomato sauce, cook until smooth and bubbly. Cover and simmer on lowest heat, about 10 or 15 minutes – I let it cook while I put the rice together. Gravy should be very thin, if not add a little water to thin it out.

To Roll Enchiladas
Pour 1/2 of the red sauce into the pan that your going to put the enchiladas in.

Place a small hand-full of cheese in the middle and fold over and roll. Place the enchiladas in the pan in the red sauce. When the pan is full spoon the rest of the red sauce over the enchiladas, sprinkle with cheese and cover with foil.
To serve place your enchiladas on a plate and heat in the microwave until very hot, serve with refried bean and Spanish rice.

This is a double recipe

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/BettyR_139/CheeseEnchiladas002.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
When my kids were little this was one of their favorite meals...I loved it because I could feed 6 people with a pound of cheese and some tortillas.

I grew up on a res, so we have some staples.

Frybread:
3 c. flour
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. sugar
1 t. shortening. (NOTE: DO NOT USE BUTTER. You can use any type of oil or lard or shortening, though.)
2 c. warm water.

Mix all dry ingredients, add water slowly, mix until it's dough - add a bit more flour if necessary. Let it sit 10 minutes. Then, knead, beat, punch, clobber - it's great for getting the aggression out. The more you abuse it, the better it'll taste. Pull off golf-ball size chunks and let them rest a few minutes, then flatten them with your hand and stretch them out a little.

Fry in about 1" of heated oil or drop in a frydaddy. When golden on one side, flip over. It'll puff up nicely. Drain on paper towel.

I serve it as "indian tacos"

2 cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed
1 t. cumin
1 t. ground red pepper
1/2 jar salsa, chunky style is good.
1 small can tomato paste.

Cover with shredded lettuce, cheese, chopped onions, sour cream, or whatever you like.

-Spooky

Back
Top Bottom