Depression or what?

Also this was an interesting find too... My coops are well ventilated btw, but when I was cleaning out the chicks coop yesterday I kept noticing these little bits of ripped paper, not sure what it was too, but I think my 3 year old niece maybe was putting it in there, perhaps the silkie ate that paper or something and choked or it blocked her system..

I have issues with mice bringing in/shredding paper for nests... they will go for almost anything, paper towel, napkins feed bag tags and sometimes move it quite far from the paper source. Before you get too set on the niece idea, though that could also be the culprit.

I also bought some probiotic packs and electrolyte mix for her in case it's just dehydration of some sort. Thank you all for your help!
yeah I wasnt home so my dad went ahead and disposed of her... my babies always die when I'm not home which is suspicious but...

When using Corid do not add anything else to the water.
This.

Wait until after a full treatment of Corid before usuing those packets.

Also I think you should go ahead and give her a drench dose of Corid straight to the neal too. Brb with a link to instructions.

I decided to give her some electrolytes and probiotic mix first.. because the guy at the store, who seemed very knowledgeable with chickens asked me if I fed her the "start and grow, medicated feed for chicks." and which I did when she was a baby and after she turned around 18 weeks old I just switched to the regular feed I feed the other chickens. He said it sounds kind of unlikely she may have coccidiosis then because the start and grow helps treat that. He also claimed if her poop wasnt diarhhea like or bloody she probably didnt need corid. I still got the corid but I also got the electrolyte and probiotics. I mixed the electrolytes up first and have been giving that to her, just to see if it was maybe dehydration and she is acting much better now. She is moving alot, more alert, chirping more.. So maybe I should just keep giving her that and see how it goes.

Well, no, the feed store guy isn't quite accurate with the information on medicated chick feed and preventing or treating coccidiosis.

The purpose of the medicated chick feed which has a very low concentration of amprolium, is to help a chick's body develop a resistance to coccidia. If your weather contributes to a sudden explosion of coccidia populations, especially before chicks develop a solid resistance, they can get sick from them in spite of the medicated feed.

The same is true if the coccidia explosion overwhelms the chicks' resistance, even if they've developed some. This can happen to adult chickens, too, even though they've been resistant to their local strain of coccidia for years. Once the population reaches a tipping point, they can cause even the healthiest chickens to get sick.

Coccidiosis is one illness that is simple enough to treat successfully when caught early. More often than not, people will treat for it when they have even the slightest suspicion it may be the cause of their flock being sick. Time is of the essence in treating it before it causes irreversible damage to the intestines and secondary bacterial infection that will require a special sulfa antibiotic to cure, if it's not already too late.

I would like to stress, if you are torn between trusting the information and advice you get from a feed store employee and what you get from the experienced old hands here, I urge you to choose the advice you get here.

Well, no, the feed store guy isn't quite accurate with the information on medicated chick feed and preventing or treating coccidiosis.

The purpose of the medicated chick feed which has a very low concentration of amprolium, is to help a chick's body develop a resistance to coccidia. If your weather contributes to a sudden explosion of coccidia populations, especially before chicks develop a solid resistance, they can get sick from them in spite of the medicated feed.

The same is true if the coccidia explosion overwhelms the chicks' resistance, even if they've developed some. This can happen to adult chickens, too, even though they've been resistant to their local strain of coccidia for years. Once the population reaches a tipping point, they can cause even the healthiest chickens to get sick.

Coccidiosis is one illness that is simple enough to treat successfully when caught early. More often than not, people will treat for it when they have even the slightest suspicion it may be the cause of their flock being sick. Time is of the essence in treating it before it causes irreversible damage to the intestines and secondary bacterial infection that will require a special sulfa antibiotic to cure, if it's not already too late.

I would like to stress, if you are torn between trusting the information and advice you get from a feed store employee and what you get from the experienced old hands here, I urge you to choose the advice you get here.
This... especially since you have had recent unknown losses.

We are just trying to help you prevent another loss.

Well guys I started the corid this morning... went inside for a bit and came back out and she was just laying there. I thought she was dead but when I went to pick her up she started moving just a little. I tried to nurse her but she just didnt make it... This is all my fault I should have started the corid sooner but she was doing much better yesterday so I just didnt know. I mean maybe it was just a bad batch because I originally had three silkies and four Turkens, gave one silkie and three turkens to my sister, and all of hers died too... but all of her other bitties that were in the cage with them are alive and doing fine. It's just those ones... I dont know and I'm just beating myself up really bad cause I tried my best and it just wasnt enough..

Back
Top Bottom