Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

Pics
Happy Tuesday, Derperella fans! I don't have any new photos of Derp yet, as we've been very careful about letting the chickens out for the last week. We've had a neighbor dog problem (sigh!) and until we know it will be resolved, we're being extra careful...

Last night I had a dream that one of you sent me a box full of baby chicks!! What a joy! I wish I had the money and space for new chickens this year.

A few days ago I noticed that Derp had a bloody foot. Oh no! Of course I ran right in there to check on her... she was fine, of course. Just Derpin' along. Her outer toes, where the feathers grow, seem to grow thin and brittle toenails (only those toes!) and she accidentally breaks the tips off of them sometimes. Well, I hate the thought of infection, because I will admit it... my run is mud, mud, mud this time of year! So that night I brought her in and was just going to wash her feet off real well, but it turned into an entire bath. I set Derp into the wing-deep warm water and expected a chicken explosion-- every other chicken that I've bathed freaks out for the first minute!! But no, not Derp. Her eyes glazed over-- ooohh, it's warm in here-- and she tucked her little derpy head into my armpitt to have a snooze. As I bathed her, eventually her head drooped to rest on the side of the sink, and she dozed and purred the whole time.
When I went to take her out and dry her, she was so happy! I have never seen an animal enjoy blow-drying so much as Derp. So cute!!

After drying off, I let her sit on top of my computer chair, as she loves to do. Apparently it was comfortable, and she was all tuckered out after a long day of Derping....

zzzzzzzzzzz

Happy Tuesday, Derperella fans! I don't have any new photos of Derp yet, as we've been very careful about letting the chickens out for the last week. We've had a neighbor dog problem (sigh!) and until we know it will be resolved, we're being extra careful...

Last night I had a dream that one of you sent me a box full of baby chicks!! What a joy! I wish I had the money and space for new chickens this year.

A few days ago I noticed that Derp had a bloody foot. Oh no! Of course I ran right in there to check on her... she was fine, of course. Just Derpin' along. Her outer toes, where the feathers grow, seem to grow thin and brittle toenails (only those toes!) and she accidentally breaks the tips off of them sometimes. Well, I hate the thought of infection, because I will admit it... my run is mud, mud, mud this time of year! So that night I brought her in and was just going to wash her feet off real well, but it turned into an entire bath. I set Derp into the wing-deep warm water and expected a chicken explosion-- every other chicken that I've bathed freaks out for the first minute!! But no, not Derp. Her eyes glazed over-- ooohh, it's warm in here-- and she tucked her little derpy head into my armpitt to have a snooze. As I bathed her, eventually her head drooped to rest on the side of the sink, and she dozed and purred the whole time.
When I went to take her out and dry her, she was so happy! I have never seen an animal enjoy blow-drying so much as Derp. So cute!!

After drying off, I let her sit on top of my computer chair, as she loves to do. Apparently it was comfortable, and she was all tuckered out after a long day of Derping....

zzzzzzzzzzz

I just learned something at the vet last week while having my SLW's crossed beak trimmed....
Since the beak bled some, and after the second dose of styptic powder didn't work (completely), the vet said it was okay to apply crazy glue. I guess it's kind of like cauterizing it. They use crazy glue on people in place of stitches, maybe it is the same concept. I'm thinking that if it's okay on a chicken's beak, it might be okay its toe nail, too. Not sure if that theory carries over to the actual toes and skin, but beaks and nails are kind of similar. Might be worth considering for Derp's toe nails...

mm

I think a video of Derp being blow-dried is called for! You know, to make everyone's week better. Even if it means giving Derp another bath, I'm sure she won't mind!
big_smile.png

x 3 I would love to see that also. Of course if you were bathing/drying her the Fud man would have to be shooting the video. Derp's fans are insistent. Maybe she could go "pay per view."

Crazy clue was invented to cauterize wounds on the battle front. Pretty crazy, ey? Thank you for the Derp-update, so needed today! I love her sooo much.

Back
Top Bottom