Design a vertical chicken coop for persecuted Christians

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I can't think of a design that meets your requirements that is humane for the chickens.
The attached photo shows Sarah holding 1 of 13 children living in a little home I provide for them and 7 adults. I receive $880 monthly from SS. I keep $200 for my needs and send the rest to help them and 3 other families in their own home. In all 27 people. Their total food budget last month was less than $300. No one else is helping me help them. Food is not cheaper in Pakistan, and usually more than in the US.
I truly understand compassion for chickens. When I first brought my chicks home i held them every day on my lap.
The design I requested is far far more humane than factory farming, and not nearly as humane as free range chickens.
I need $10,000 to start a very small farm there, less than an acre, and that would not solve the problem.
12 chickens per household is just a goal. Many have limited outside space, others have none. Even 4 or 6 is better than none. I will encourage them to take them outside daily.
Nevertheless I must also consider humanity for the most inhumane treated humans on Earth. They not only face deep poverty, but daily persecution - forced to work as bond slaves or at very most about 8000 rupees / $50.00 USD a month.
No I can not guarantee humane treatment of the chickens. But I personally know these poorest of the poor suffering Christians are loving people, and having no toys I believe the children will love them and care for them as pets to the best of their ability.
I truly appreciate and share your concern. I am considering also the previous suggestion regarding quail. What about pigeons or ??
Thank you and bless you m

Attachments

• IMG-20201020-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20201020-WA0004.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 2
Have you considered quail instead? They take up far less room
I will definitely consider them. Various chicken breeds are allowed in Pakistan for import, I will check on the quail. I love the suggestion.
Recently I saw some pigeon eggs. I suppose that might be an alternative?
Do quail and other birds lay daily. If so maybe one Emu would work.

I will definitely consider them. Various chicken breeds are allowed in Pakistan for import, I will check on the quail. I love the suggestion.
Recently I saw some pigeon eggs. I suppose that might be an alternative?
Do quail and other birds lay daily. If so maybe one Emu would work.
Emu are seasonal and rather dangerous and need a LOT of space. Pigeons lay a pair of eggs before raising the chicks for a few months. Quail lay daily (most do at least) and rarely go broody. They also reach maturity at 8 weeks and are easy to butcher

Emu are seasonal and rather dangerous and need a LOT of space. Pigeons lay a pair of eggs before raising the chicks for a few months. Quail lay daily (most do at least) and rarely go broody. They also reach maturity at 8 weeks and are easy to butcher
Great. I will research. I am also working on rooftop gardens and poultry. I requested an indoor solution to accommodate those in that situation. Many live in large tents as well.

Back
Top Bottom